End of the NBA Regular Season - who upstaged who?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kobe's final game, Warrior's going for 73-9, Curry shooting for 400 3's. The only playoff spot that was still undecided at the beginning of the day was a non-story in the end with the Rockets only needing a win over the hapless Kings to lock it up, but it was still one of the most eventful days in NBA regular season history thanks to the two games played in California.

What's the most impressive story of the day in the NBA?

- Warriors break the "unbeatable" 95-96 Bulls record by going 73-9.
- Stephen Curry breaks 400 3-pointers in the same season he became the first player to ever hit 300 in a season.
- Stephen Curry with a 90/50/45, 30ppg season.
- Kobe Bryant wraps up one of the greatest NBA careers of all time after 20 years.
- Kobe Bryant scores 60 in his farewell game.
- Something else?

Nothing against Kobe, but I gotta believe there was a little let-off on Defense on his last game. The farewell was a bit of a spectacle, from what I saw online today.

This needs to be a poll, Fattie!

I thought the same thing, but I'm lazy and was working on limited time in between a couple other things, so I gave the poll a miss.

Nothing against Kobe, but I gotta believe there was a little let-off on Defense on his last game. The farewell was a bit of a spectacle, from what I saw online today.

I agree. The Jazz knew they had just been eliminated from the playoffs by way of the Rockets beating the Kings, so they had nothing to play for and were probably inclined to let Kobe have his day. In the recap, Kobe was quoted as saying something like, "for 20 years I've been criticized for holding onto the ball too much, but today nobody wanted me to pass it, they wanted me to shoot everything. He chucked 50 shots - six more than his previous career high. It's a nice tribute to an all-timer, but 60 in his sendoff is pretty much a big farce.

I expected the Warriors would make a serious run at 73-9 very early in the season - when they were 10-0 and untouchable I would have put $20 on it with the honest expectation that they could very well pull it off, player health permitting. Honestly, until those two ugly home losses I thought 74-8 was a 50/50 proposition. Curry with another MVP seemed like a no-brainer, though the way he's done it (he's honestly gotta be near the top of the Most Improved Player discussion even after last year's MVP) is pretty shocking. 400 3's in a season is insane. The only thing that disappointed me about the Warriors game was that by the end of the first quarter, I thought Curry intended to set a new single-game three-pointer record as well. The record is 12 and he looked like he was ready to raise the bar to 15+ just as a look-what-I-can-do.

Back