empty CO2 tank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoft

Reaction score
OK I'm clueless when it comes to kegging! I've got a new regulator and a used CO2 tank. I was successfully dispensing from one keg and had both it and another uncarbed keg at 10 psi overnight. The next day the tank pressure gauge read the same (about 600 psi) as the night before but there was no pressure in the lines to dispense the beer. No matter what I try I can't get any sign of CO2 coming from the tank. I'm guessing I'm out of gas but shouldn't my tank gauge read zero pressure? Help?

yes, if you are out of gas, the tank pressure should read zero.

Your regulator should have two gauges on it. One will read a high value (pressure inside the tank) and the other will read a much lower value (pressure being allowed through the regulator).

What does the second gauge read?

If you have shutoff valves have you checked those? (I know that might seem obvious.)

If you want to check whether your tank is truly empty, you can turn the valve off (on the CO2 tank) then uncouple your regulator from the tank. Then very slowly and slightly open the valve to see if any CO2 comes out. If there is any at all it will shoot out under high pressure. Then you'll know there's something you need to do with the regulator.

So the high pressure guage reads 600 but the low pressure guage
Reads zero no matter what I do with the rest of the set up. I've tried
Tinkering with all the valves and pressure releases downstream from
The regulator and on the regulator itself. I even bought a new wrench
To tighten the reg to the tank better. I think the next step is definately
Taking the reg off the tank and seeing if I can get CO2 out. Thanks so much!

I fixed a regulator by taking it apart and cleaning/reseating the rubber diphragm, and checking the small bleeder hole under it. ymmv.

Ajwillys you are a real man of genius! I disconnected the regulator
From the CO2 tank and the high pressure guage still read 600. Tapped it
Softly then harder-still 600! Looked at the needle closely and guess what?
BENT-no wonder it won't move. So the plan is recharge my tank and return
my regulator (and make sure the needles on the replacement aren't bent.)
Thanks again!

Back