Empty CO2 - Is my beer going to go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi all
I just got back from vacay - clearly I don't know how to manage my kegs while I am away. I left 2 kegs full of newly carbonated beer, connected to my 5lbs tank. I think the tank was already near empty, but more importantly, upon arriving home, I found my kegs with very low pressure and no more gas in the tank. I can't get to a refill for a few more days. Are these beers going to be bad? I don't think they have been oxygenated but the zero pressure leaves me skeptical that there may be a leak which implies oxygen entry?

Your beer is most likely fine, but you have to find the leak!
You may know this but I'll mention it in case you don't. CO2 bottle valves should be fully opened and firmly turned fully open just as one would when closing the valve. They have a double valve stem seal and if not fully opened or closed gas can leak out around the valve stem.
Also, and you know this now I'm sure, a second bottle is almost but not quite absolutely essential!

I don't think they have been oxygenated but the zero pressure leaves me skeptical that there may be a leak which implies oxygen entry?
If there is still pressure in the keg then it is unlikely O2 got in. When I say pressure I mean the base carbonation is just a bit higher than atmospheric pressure. If it will still dispense through the tap then there is likely enough pressure to keep O2 at bay.

Back