Empryean Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a Mango IPA from Empryean Brewing out of Nebraska. I have to say this was one amazing beer. I am looking for some tips on brewing it or Mango IPA in general. It appeared to have mostly spicy hops, possibly libtery, fuggles, sterling, etc..etc...paired with the mango. %8.5 ABV is all the info I have.

Should a guy use fresh mango or is there extract?

You would probably want to use some Citra hops in the mix, on the late end of the boil. Tropical, fruity notes for sure.

Yesterday I had a Mango IPA from Empryean Brewing out of Nebraska. I have to say this was one amazing beer. I am looking for some tips on brewing it or Mango IPA in general. It appeared to have mostly spicy hops, possibly libtery, fuggles, sterling, etc..etc...paired with the mango. %8.5 ABV is all the info I have.

Should a guy use fresh mango or is there extract?

do you have any indian markets in your town? they sell a canned kesar mango puree that is absolutely delish.

I was recently drinking a glass of my house IPA, which is a simple all Chinook recipe based off of Northern Brewers recipie, and eating a piece of mango licorice and thought 'damn this would be awesome together'. Needless to say, I settled on apricot extract instead because of availability at my LHBS, or any mail-order store for that matter. It turned out awesome, to say the least and has been one of my fastest movers.

10 lbs 2-row
.75 carapils
.25 120

1oz Chinook 60 min
1oz Chinook 10 min
1oz Chinook @flameout

Safale S-04

4oz Chinook Dryhop for 10-14 days (whole flower hops)

3oz Apricot extract @ bottling or kegging.

I meant to add 2 oz of extract, but the bottle got caught up and jammed between the roof of the fridge and the top of the keg. Needless to say I ended up dumping 3/4 of the bottle in vs. the 1/2 that I was aiming for. It was a tad too strong for the first week, but it mellowed out nicely.

The sweetness of the extract balances out nicely with the fairly large amount of hops. I can almost guarantee you will not be disappointed. I'm not a fan of fruit beers, and my wife despises hoppy beers, but we can both enjoy this one.

Be careful with extract flavorings. Some are good, some are not so good. A local brewery uses mango extract in a wheat beer, and it tastes artificial.

I was afraid of an artificial taste as well, but luckily for me I have a bunch of beer garbage disposals (some people refer to them as co-workers) just in case if it turned out bad. No artificial taste to speak of though. Heres a pic of the flavoring I used, right next to a pint of said recipe. And if you can't tell by the glass, I've drained a few Empyrians down in my day.

image-3514313931.jpg

The Mango IPA was a Beerquest winner. That is their homebrew competition, the winner of which gets to brew on their system. I am entering the next one and if I get a chance to ask I will see if I can glean any info from the brewer of this beer.

Back