Emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan99

Reaction score
I do not have a blowoff hose on my 6.5 gal primary. I put it in there yesturday and now the foam is bubbling through my airlock. What can I do?? I hasn't gone over yet but I don't want to go to bed and have it over flow

put the carboy somewhere an overflow won't damage anything such as in a laundry sink, a large bucket, tile floor on some towels,etc.
get an overflow tube tomorrow

I went through this only once before I started using a blow off tube on every batch...just in case. What I did was (if you have them) is sanitized a towel, wrapped it around the neck of the carboy, and kept a few extra bungs w/clean air locks ready to swap off at a moments notice. Then sanitized another smaller towel, and covered the air lock and top of the carboy.

For buckets, it can be harder to do this. If you are using a bucket, you need to be careful on removing the airlock each time to clean it. You can either pull out the grommet or push it inside the bucket trying to reinstall it.

What type of fermenter?

As long as it's blowin' strong do not fear infection fear only your housemates/mate

It is a 6.5gal glass carboy. I moved it to the tub. It won't explode will it?

Do you have a siphon hose? Pull the airlock out of the bung and stuff the siphon hose in there - sanitized of course

ryan99 said:
Will the 3/8 in siphon tube be large enough?

Better than an airlock - just stick it in the bung as far as you can and put the other end into a glass or something

That seems to be working. Thanks. So you just use a hose instead of an airlock or both at the same time?

Instead of the airlock! Just put the tubing in the opening and then the other end in some water and/or sanitizer. This blow off tubing is now your airlock! It works slick! When fermentation slows, you can resanitize your airlock and bung and replace it.

Back