Emergency.... no yeast in kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hootowl

Reaction score
My mistake is I didn't do inventory when I received the kit. No yeast. I bought two kits. One is a Honey Wheat with a ale yeast. I have that yeast. The one I am brewing now is a Lemon drop Pilsner No yeast in the kit.

So my only choice is to use the ale yeast or... I have a big bag of Red Star Dady distillers yeast. I have to use one or the other or just stop the steep and dump the water.... get a new bag of steeping grains and the correct yeast and start over.....

One thing about brewing.... it's always something. Thankfully I've reduced my alcohol intake a lot so that's a big help.

Last edited:
Ok this is my first pilsner and I did some research. To answer my own question.... no... I dumped the steeping wort and contacted the store and asked for another bag of steeping grains and the proper yeast.

Your only option at this point is to brew the ale.

I have a few packets of dry yeast I keep in the refrigerator for emergency purposes, such as if I screw up a starter or it turns out to be bad or something like that. Might be worth having a couple of packets on hand.

Good on you for figuring it out before you went any further.

I would have just continued forward and used the ale yeast. Then contacted the store to get a replacement. Then used the yeast from this batch to brew the next batch.

Back