Emergency!! Need help quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivercat96

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
4
Location
Orangevale
I just started steeping some grains for a cream ale kit and I noticed that in the ingredient pack there was a package of lager yeast instead of the typical brewer/ale yeast. My girlfriend bought this beer kit at my local brewery store so I have no clue if this is the correct yeast or not. I've checked out a few cream ale beer kits and they all appear to use normal ale/brewers yeast. Do you guys think I should substitute the lager yeast that came with the kit with some ale yeast instead?? The beer kits are made locally at my brewery store and they include the yeast but they may have made a mistake. Thanks folks.
 
Well, do you have the ability to do a lager? If you do, then you could make it with that yeast. If you can't yet lager, then yes, make it with a clean neutral ale yeast, like Nottingham.

What kind of lager yeast is it?
 
Thanks guys for the quick responses, this my third time brewing and just when I thought I had everything dialed in someone throws me a curveball. I don't really want to lager the beer, it's cold enough in my garage to do it but I like the quick turn around of ales. The lager yeast that was in the kit is in a yellow package and it's called Saflager S-23, dry lager yeast, made by Fermentis?? The ale yeast I have from another kit is Nottingham's Brewing yeast which is the normal yeast that I see in the ale kits I buy from my LHBS. So a direct substitute it is, can't thank you guys enough. If you live in the Sacramento area I'll drop off a 22 after I bottle this batch. :mug:
 
Something I read a long time before I started brewing was to get all the ingredients together and read the recipe twice before starting in on brew day. I bet whoever wrote that had a day like you had. Glad this worked out for you.
 
That's not a bad idea Psychodad, I learned a good lesson today for sure. I think I may purchase a few extra brewers yeast packs too just in case there is a problem with the yeast, haven't had that happen to me yet but I've heard of bad batches of yeast. That would really set me back, damn I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Time for a chocolate sleigh ride and then a home brew.
 
Be nice to the new guy Yuri. He probably doesn't know about EF but I have to admit chocolate sleigh ride does sound similar. :D
 
Yuri I'm not familiar with your friend Mr. Fitzgerald but since you sound interested a chocolate sleigh ride is hot chocolate, peppermint schnapps and some pieces of candy cane mixed together, my girlfriend made it and who am I to argue with something that sounds that good.
 
Sounds tasty!

Edmund Fitzgerald is a commercially available porter that has become an inside joke and euphemism for...something else...here at HBT. A little creative searching will likely make it all make sense.
 
Rivercat96 said:
Thanks guys for the quick responses, this my third time brewing and just when I thought I had everything dialed in someone throws me a curveball. I don't really want to lager the beer, it's cold enough in my garage to do it but I like the quick turn around of ales. The lager yeast that was in the kit is in a yellow package and it's called Saflager S-23, dry lager yeast, made by Fermentis?? The ale yeast I have from another kit is Nottingham's Brewing yeast which is the normal yeast that I see in the ale kits I buy from my LHBS. So a direct substitute it is, can't thank you guys enough. If you live in the Sacramento area I'll drop off a 22 after I bottle this batch. :mug:


The Fermentis S-23 lager yeast is a pretty fair yeast man and I recommend you lager something with it. It'll work well for you and is easy to re use a yeast cake for a couple of times. It probably would have given you a very nice tasting beer at the temperatures you are currently experiencing. :mug:
 
I talked with my LHBS today and the guy said that I should have used the lagering yeast. I guess you ferment it at ale temperatures and then lager it in the bottle at cooler temps for a few months. It sure would of been nice if the damn instructions said that!? The LHBS in Sacramento uses the same general instructions for all of their beer kits and it's not real helpful for newbies or more experienced brewers who want more detailed information for each beer. Looks like I'm gonna have to start buying from Northern Brewer since they seem to have specific instructions for each kit. Thanks again fellas for the help yesterday. Looks like I'll be brewing a light ale versus a cream ale. I'll let you know how it tastes.
 
Rivercat96 said:
I talked with my LHBS today and the guy said that I should have used the lagering yeast. I guess you ferment it at ale temperatures and then lager it in the bottle at cooler temps for a few months.

If you had used the lager yeast at ale fermentation temps you would have produced something along the lines of a California Common -- steam beer. Think Anchor Steam. Good stuff. You can also use some ale yeasts at (or near) lager temperatures. Kölsch yeast, for example, does well at cooler temperatures. Those yeasts are great for cream ales, blondes and altbiers. The Nottingham you used is a very clean yeast and can also be fermented cooler than usual for even fewer esters. You're in good shape, but you probably would have been just fine with the lager yeast, too.

Chad
 
Rivercat96 said:
Thanks guys for the quick responses, this my third time brewing and just when I thought I had everything dialed in someone throws me a curveball. I don't really want to lager the beer, it's cold enough in my garage to do it but I like the quick turn around of ales. The lager yeast that was in the kit is in a yellow package and it's called Saflager S-23, dry lager yeast, made by Fermentis?? The ale yeast I have from another kit is Nottingham's Brewing yeast which is the normal yeast that I see in the ale kits I buy from my LHBS. So a direct substitute it is, can't thank you guys enough. If you live in the Sacramento area I'll drop off a 22 after I bottle this batch. :mug:
I live in Sacramento :rockin:
 
Yuri_Rage said:
Sounds tasty!

Edmund Fitzgerald is a commercially available porter that has become an inside joke and euphemism for...something else...here at HBT. A little creative searching will likely make it all make sense.

yeah... a beverage was not the first thing to my mind either :/ but that sounds like a yummy drink, i'll have to try it some time :) sounds like something swmbo would like :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top