Emergency blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take the siphon hose, place it in the hole for the air lock, and use that as a blow-off.

Lower the temp of the beer.

I've never had the problem, but that is my suggestion,

Put the other end of the siphon hose in a bottle 1/4 full of starsan or the likes. if the hose is the wrong size for the hole with or without the grommet, you may be able to squeeze it over the inside of a three piece airlock, maybe slit the end of the hose first about .5 inches.

Something like this:

100_5063.jpg

0.5 inch ID (IIRC) sanitized tubing over the inner tube of the airlock, into a bottle or something of water w/sanitizer.

with a little work i was able to get the siphon tube into the rubber grommett. cleaned it up and appears to be airtite. can the tube be toooo long?

That will do...and it's better to put it onto the floor as you did than to set it up on top of the bucket. When it's above the wort level, enough suckback can start a siphon and pull all of that nasty blowoff water back into your brew :eek:

Back