Eliminating or reducing protein rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lithy

Reaction score
Alright, so I recently bottled up my first sour batch. A simple no boil Berliner Weisse recipe that turned out fantastic. It is carbing up at the moment and I suspect I will start seeing some protein rings just like the secondary fermenter had at the waterline of each bottle.

So for aesthetic and possibly taste reasons (will continued lacto exposure make each bottle more sour over time?) I would like to find a way to freeze the sourness of the batch at the point of bottling.

Just as background the method I used was 4lbs pils and 4 lbs wheat malt set aside a half # of the grain, mash the rest with a half oz of Hallertau, collect 6 gallons. Split into 1.5 gal and 4.5 gal. Ferment the larger with a packet of Nottingham, dump the unmashed grains into the smaller batch. Ferment at 63 in my basement, set a heater next to the smaller batch, closer to 90 the better, I got to the mid 80s. I used an airlock but opened the batch once a day to let new air into the lacto and rotated the bucket to avoid 'cooking' any (not sure if this was a real concern). Combine batches after a week of souring, 2 days later transfer to secondary, wait another week, bottle to 3 atm. Thanks to JoeMcPhee at ratebeer for the recipe.

Ok so anyway, I had two ideas. Cold crashing and boiling. I don't know what effect either would have on stopping the lacto.

Boiling, I've read lacto is very resiliant to heat. Definitely more so than the yeast so I would have to reyeast the batch after boiling.

Cold crashing, I don't know if this would do anything to the lacto.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to HBT!

Wow, that is really fast bottling for a sour. Most of the guys around here leave it in bulk for months and up to a year. I think your ring problem would go away if you let the beer finish out in bulk.

Welcome to HBT!

Wow, that is really fast bottling for a sour. Most of the guys around here leave it in bulk for months and up to a year. I think your ring problem would go away if you let the beer finish out in bulk.

I thought the long wait was more for beers where you want a Brett character to develop. The souring in this one is all lactobacillus and was at the level I wanted when I bottled.

In any case, you may be right, but it had been a while since I homebrewed so I had nothing on hand to drink while homebrewing!

Thanks for the welcome.

I'd consider an SO2 addition, or sorbate. How are you carbonating?

Back