Elements of good fruit to sour a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHSnethen

Reaction score
I've been looking through the forums for this answer, but cannot find it. I've just entered the realm of brewing sour beers (have a Flanders Red on now, and hope to start one a week through the summer). I'm looking for what I should be paying attention to when selecting fruit to add to a secondary, or to use in primary for additional souring funk. The things I'm thinking about is stuff like:

Pesticides from the farm, and the viability of fruit with food grade wax or shellac that is added to most commercial fruit.

If somebody knows the answer, or has a good resource to point me to, it seems like a good time of year to figure this stuff out.

Thanks.

Don't waste your money on primary fruit. If you want added funk use your mash schedule or add sugars and dextrines. Fruit is a waste, save that for secondary after the beer tastes done

I grew up in Wisconsin and I loved late September to October for apple and pumpkin picking. One thing I learned is that beauty is superficial and true goodness is has no looks...that is as long as the fruit is natural it shouldn't matter how it looks.

Ugly apples make great cider and ugly pumpkins make great pies.

As Masonsjax states, I would focus on local and untouched rather than anything else. Nature knows its ****.

I'll have to start going to the Saturday Farmer's Market here in town, thanks for the advice!

Back