Element Wiring question (P-J?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im getting pretty close to having my panel wiring figured out but cant quite get my head around this last piece.

Im going to have a 30amp service, it will be started w/ a key switch selector for a contactor just like the electric brewery.

What I would like is to have a 2 way selector switch to choose which element is active (HLT/BK 5500w camco's). Then I would like each element to have a 3 way selector switch for auto/off/hand-manual. That way i can choose to have it BCS controlled.. but if it breaks or i want I can simply just turn the element on manually.

It looks like Ohio-Ed has doing the same thing in his build and i downloaded his diagram but Im just not quite getting it. Would i need 2 contactors for each element.. 1 for auto before my ssr's and then another for just full on manual? Or is he acomplishing this in another fashion?

I have a 30amp gfci panel mounted breaker so dont need any breakers in this part of the wiring as its only 30amp service.

If someone could help talk me through how to do this and maybe a diagram. I just really want to understand how to wire this and how it works.

Thanks for any and all help,

~jake
IBB

hmm..

I found a diagram that PJ did that is exactly what i want.

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Kenneth-BCS-460-wiring-2-4a.jpg

I dont understand how power from line 2 gets to element in manual mode tho. I see how it gets there from the ssr in auto mode, but i dont see how it would get there in manual mode w/out going through the SSR.

Any explanation would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

it still goes through the SSR.

The selector switches, when in manual mode, connect the SSR control signal to the +5VDC pin on the BCS instead of one of the "out" signals on the BCS, which makes it just stay on.

wow.. that's so simple I was totally over thinking it... don't i feel a bit embarrassed. Thanks for pointing that out Walker, really appreciate you time to respond.

Would there be any reason not to wire the ground on the SSR's and +5v to the switches from the panel and not use them on the BCS at all. I was just thinking if you did that from the start and the BCS failed you wouldnt have to worry about it at all in manual mode?

I see that P-J has an option for a 6v cord in his diagram so im assuming that wouldnt be an issue. Is there any reason the ground for the ssrs couldnt be common to the panel as well instead of off the BCS?

Thanks,

~jake

You don't want to tie the SSR's (-) pin to the panel's ground wire. What would happen is that as soon as the SSR was activated, current would flow to ground and yor GFCI would trip, shutting down the whole system.

Bullywee,

Thanks for the offer, P-J did a great job w/ that diagram its pretty straight forward, and its EXACTLY what i want to build. If i run into anything ill check in w/ you!

Thats the thing i love about this site, everyone shares everything. I am going from just 5gal cooler mashing on a bango burner w/ bottles, to keezer, ferm chamber, ebrewery... im doing all of the projects together starting about 3 months ago.

The awesome part is almost every idea if not flat out copying things came all from here and i only have made about 5 post. I have spent months just reading all the amazing threads here.. kal, coderage, P-J, ohio-ed, nattybrew, and so many others have made it so.. just choose 1 of the many ways they have done AND documented it. If you run into any issues a polite question will often quickly get you a great answer.

So in short.. my wife hates this site :p

~jake

Back