Electronics Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
I'm eventually planning on building a HERMS system. I'm pretty much a novice as far as electronics; PID, SSR, wiring 220V etc. Can anybody point me in a direction as where to start; books, web sites etc.? I've been reading Pol's threads with great interest, but some of it is still beyond me. I am a computer engineer so I did have some basic electronics in college, but I doubt that will help much :)

Thanks,
Eric

Welcome! I think you are in the right place, namely, this site. I had the same thoughts about a month ago, and have been scouring the site for every bit of info I can. The PID sets your temperature and controls the relay on and off that drives the heating element. The 220v is the scary stuff that can cause some serious harm. I'm still trying to get handle on this myself.

I have yet to find a one stop shopping site for information, as it spans a number of topics. I was all set to start building, then I came across the "Arduino", and that took me off in a completely new direction! :drunk:

Jeff, Welcome to HBT!

If you don't have any electrical wiring basics, pick up a 'how to' book at home depot. They'll explain the basics and the correct techniques involved. Start slow and understand what you're doing. First of all, you're mixing water and electricity, so you better get it right! (okay, disclaimer over)

Working with 220 is no different than 110 (basic household wiring) As long as you're using the correct breakers, correct gauge of wire, and correct ratings of connectors, you'll be fine. Make sure all connections are tight, and waterproof or in an enclosure.

B

Jeff, Welcome to HBT!

If you don't have any electrical wiring basics, pick up a 'how to' book at home depot. They'll explain the basics and the correct techniques involved. Start slow and understand what you're doing. First of all, you're mixing water and electricity, so you better get it right! (okay, disclaimer over)

Working with 220 is no different than 110 (basic household wiring) As long as you're using the correct breakers, correct gauge of wire, and correct ratings of connectors, you'll be fine. Make sure all connections are tight, and waterproof or in an enclosure.

B

There ARE some basic differences between 120v and 220v circuitry. Some 220v devices require a neutral, and some don't. There are also different 220v receptacles, dependant on the male plug.

Back