Quantcast

Electrical question on connection - L15-30 VS L14-30

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bad Bubba

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having my electrician come over to put in a subpanel with a GFCI 30 Amp breaker in it. He has specified a cord with an L15-30 receptacle. I have questioned him about it but he insists that is the correct plug for my needs. It seems to me an L14-30 is the better choice, but I am not the electrician. Any thoughts

Brumateur

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NEMA L14 are three-pole and ground connectors rated for 125/250 V. Intended for three-pole, four-wire hot-hot-neutral-ground circuits .
NEMA L15 are three-pole and ground connectors rated for 250 V. Intended for three-phase circuits.

Are you installing subpanel at your home (L14 )or at some shop with 3phase wiring (L15) ?

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seconded. If it’s a domestic supply, you have two hot taps of a center-tapped transformer that give you single phase 120v to the neutral center tap and 240v across the two hot taps. You want the two hot wires, neutral, and ground, so L14-30 the right outlet for single phase domestic supply.

if you have a three phase supply in your house needing an L15-30, then I would be... uh... shocked.

OP
Bad Bubba

Bad Bubba

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story follow up - I check with the electrical company and the guy who wrote the quote insisted he had the correct plug. Due to my own concerns, went out the night before and purchased an L14-30 plug to have on hand. The crew showed up and installed the panel and when they went to add the plug the electrician (not the guy who did the quote) came to me to tell me we had a problem because the plug was not right and he would have to see if they had one in stock back at the shop. I whipped out the plug I had purchased and the guy was elated - told me what an awesome client I was. They finished the job up and took the charge from the plug and the trip charge off the invoice.

These guys have done several projects for me over the years and have always been great - I think they are over whelmed. They told me their workload was way up during the pandemic.