Electrical element not turning on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrels

Reaction score
So, I'm a bit stuck. I've gotten my brew panel all together and have been hooking everything up. The pumps work, as do the probes. I went to turn on the element on with the pid in manual mode set to 100 and nothing happens.

If I have the element unplugged my indicator light is yellow.

I've done a voltage test on the outlet on the brew panel and one pole is reading 100v and the other 118v.

I'm guessing this might be my problem, since the outlet going into the box is fine (110 on each).

Has anyone else had this problem?

Did you test each leg to ground? If you have 120 with one lead on ground and one on power, what do you get? Sounds like it may be a bad connection.

I tested each leg to the ground. The first reads 100 to 101, the second reads 117 to 118.

Below are photos of my test. It's a quazi Kal clone. All that is wired to the outlet is the out from the relay.

20151206_195057[1].jpg

20151206_195123[1].jpg

Could be the relay...without seeing the wiring and schematics, it's just a guess. Triple check your incoming power also

Here are my rough schematics ported into the computer from the paper.

If I have power on at this point, should I be getting a response on the SSR? I don't see the light on that.

brew sketch.png

I had that problem when I had a bad ssr. Element unplugged,.lights would work. When plugged in, no light. From what I remember, something with an ssr failing under load. Just replaced it with a new auber ssr and all was good.

When you replaced the SSR did you redo the thermal paste, or just use what was left on there?

Here are my rough schematics ported into the computer from the paper.

If I have power on at this point, should I be getting a response on the SSR? I don't see the light on that.

Im going to assume theres a neutral going to the main power contactor/relay and you just missed it in the drawing.

What PID are you using and what pins from it are going to the SSR?

Im going to assume theres a neutral going to the main power contactor/relay and you just missed it in the drawing.

I'm using the mypin td4 and I'm using the ones marked for SSR (pins 3 and 4). Yes, I do have a line for the neutral going to the main power supply :)

Wow. Thank you for having me look at this! The manual I have is reverse of what the diagram is for which is positive and which is negative!

I flipped that and bam, it works! Thank you FuzzeWuzze! And thank you all for helping me troubleshoot!

Back