Electric Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenwalter

Reaction score
http://www.nextag.com/masterbuilt-electric-turkey-fryer/search-html

Hi,

I'm a beginner just getting my equipment together and wanted an opinion on this turkey fryer. It has a stainless steel liner and a draining spout. I know it's expensive
but it can be used indoors and the spout should make it easy to transfer the wort to the carboy. I do have a concern about sediment. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

I have a cheaper electric fryer, it's a POS. I think it might be Masterbuilt, I can't remember.

The basic issue is that since it's harder to heat up water than oil, it simply doesn't have enough power to really bring the wort to boil. It's OK for heating sparge water, but it's pretty slow. I could never maintain a good boil for anything more than a couple gallons.

Hi Bird,

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember how many watts your heater was? What do you think about the sediment issue using the drain?

I'll check the wattage tonight, I have no idea off the top of my head. Mine didn't have a spigot, you'd probably want to hook up some kind of screen or false bottom.

Not enough power!! It prob. is 1800W. To boil 5 gal. without a lid you'll need approx. double that. You could use it indoors coupled w/ a heatstick, but you will need to pull power from two different circuits, gfi's.

Check the details...these things have a pretty thin aluminum liner. IMO not worth 100+ dollars at all. A bettter option imo would be to look for a propane turkey fryer on clearance for outdoor brewing. For indoor brewing, you could try the 30 qt pot stovetop w/ a heatstick, or two heatsticks not on the stove. Full boils inside are a little tricky...it takes a fair amount of heat/power to boil 5-6 gallons.

The heater in this thing is only 1650 watts so I guess I'll forget it.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back