Electric pot mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
I just recently bought an electric stainless steel pot with spigot for draining and temperature controls which supposedly will allow me to make decent mashes, and then boil the brew. This will be my first time doing all grain mashes, and while I've read Palmer's "How to Brew," I have some doubts.

Since the pot will let me regulate the temperature perfectly, couldn't I just:
1. suspend the mash in grain bags in the water
2. reach the temperatures that I need to reach during the necessary times
3. remove the bags (allowing them to drain), and
4. start boiling directly?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here, and that there are some ways to get a much better outcome, but after reading through Palmer's mash chapter a couple of times it just seemed that the electric pot would make a few of the steps obsolete.

Opinions?

I am also thinking about something like this. I'll probably build my own, but I'm looking at everything for inspiration.

I want to do all grain but I also want to keep it as simple as possible so I'd like to go brew in a bag, maybe electric, with a finished batch size of 10 gallon.

Best of luck man!

Swifty

sentfromspain said:
I just recently bought an electric stainless steel pot with spigot for draining and temperature controls which supposedly will allow me to make decent mashes, and then boil the brew. This will be my first time doing all grain mashes, and while I've read Palmer's "How to Brew," I have some doubts.

Since the pot will let me regulate the temperature perfectly, couldn't I just:
1. suspend the mash in grain bags in the water
2. reach the temperatures that I need to reach during the necessary times
3. remove the bags (allowing them to drain), and
4. start boiling directly?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here, and that there are some ways to get a much better outcome, but after reading through Palmer's mash chapter a couple of times it just seemed that the electric pot would make a few of the steps obsolete.

Opinions?

Sounds like you'd want to do BIAB. So yeah, no mash tun or fly/batch sparging required. Check the stickies on this forum. Lots of good info.

I don't even think you need a grain bag, I think I saw the video on this thing a while back. If I remember right, it has it's own interior pot and false bottom, and you just pull out that inside pot when you're done.

Awesome setup, definitely expensive though! I'd like to see someone do a DIY project on this, I'm sure you could make it fairly cheap. BIAB works pretty nicely too though, considering the low cost, but if I had the cash to throw down, I'd definitely get this bad boy!

I use a cheap aluminum 'tamale steamer' as my kettle. Its 8 gallons, with a dimple around the whole pot where you place a false bottom of sorts (where the tamales would go). This dimple is 2 inches from the bottom, so you'd have plenty of room for an electric element and spigot underneath it. Id assume it would be perfect for five galon BIAB because the bag and grain would be above the element and supported. You could do single vessel on the stove all grains for 'regular' gravity beers easily.

Don't the Brits use 220v as standard? You'd have to get a special outlet for it.

The kettle is from Belgium and I live in Spain, so there's no outlet problem. But even if you brought it over to the states, you'd only need one of those international conversion attachments for the cable (the kind you can get at airports and travel stores). The voltage between the states and europe is the same.

The kettle is from Belgium and I live in Spain, so there's no outlet problem. But even if you brought it over to the states, you'd only need one of those international conversion attachments for the cable (the kind you can get at airports and travel stores). The voltage between the states and europe is the same.

I mentioned it because under your name it says you are in Calif. :)

Search biab & brew in a bag. There's some good information here and over at www.aussiehomebrewer.com - and they might have experience with the pot you speak of. If you get one, I'd get the "pro" as it looks like the other one is an anologue control - fine for boiling, but it looks in the pictures like the dial goes from 1-6 - so no "real" temp control.

Back