Electric MLT & HLT questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I just finished building a 5 gallon cooler with a heating element installed. My plan is to build a second as an HLT tank.

Here is my plan. Please give me some feedback.

1. Use MLT to heat mash water to required temp.
2. Add grain, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. While the MLT is stabalizing, begin heating the HLT sparge water.
4. At 5 minutes, if the MLT needs heat, switch off HLT, switch on MLT and stir until temp is reached.
5. Switch off MLT and switch HLT back on. My temp sensor on the HLT has an alarm for when the temp is reached.
6. When the HLT alarm sounds, switch off HLT, stir and cover watching the temp. I understand that without some stirring, the electric element makes for non-uniform heating.
7. Sit back with a beer watching the mash and HLT temps until mash is done.

Doing it this way, I can get away with only 1 20 map circuit to run both the HLT and MLT. I don't really see a reason to run them both at the same time. Nor do I see a reason for an electric stiring rig.

Your thoughts......

You are going to be stirring a lot while the element is on to avoid scorching in your MT (this is the only reason I wanted to automate mine even using steam as a heat source). Also, it will take you a while to heat the water in your HLT with only one 120V element (I am assuming you are using 120V) without a stirrer going to help move the water and equalize the temperature. Also, if you aren't using 120V but are wiring up for 240V you won't be able to not scorch your wort in the MT, but your HLT will heat up much faster.

If I'm sparging with 3 gallons, will take more than the 60 minutes to heat the water from my taps 125 F to 168 F?

In the MT I'm thinking I would only need to raise it a degree or 2 from either missing my target temp or from heat loss.

I love fast answers.

Thanks

Oh, no. Sorry, with only 3 gallons being heated it shouldn't take any time to get up to sparge temperatures, but I would still stir the water for accurate temperature reading and good/fast temperature rise.

If you want to figure out how long it will take to heat your water from one temp to another, check out my thread on "RIMS set ups". There are some calculations you might be interested in there pertaining to heating elements. Good luck, and cheers.

S.

Back