Electric HLT Owners I have a few Questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albysurfin

Reaction score
I have collected all of the parts for my Electric HLT. I will be using the Igloo 10 gallon water cooler and 2 - 120Volt 1500 watt elements, which will be run on different plugs on different circuits in my garage.

I have scrubbed the threads here on HBT on this subject and there is not really a ton of info out there.

What is the best method for mounting the heating element in the cooler?

I was going to use the 1" locknut with Silicone O-Ring from bargain fittings inside the cooler, it's pictured here

http://greatbargain.net/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_46&product_id=95

Will this be enought to keep it from leaking? Do I need to smear that area with Silicone? Some of the threads seem like they have done that. Would rather not do that in case I have to replace the element.

I have also seen some people talk about using JB Weld. Are people just using that on the outside to pot the connections or are they using it on the inside of the cooler where it comes in contact with the water? If it were to come into contact with water I think that would be a little sketchy.

Has anyone done anything to reinforce the bottom wall of the cooler?

I just want to do this thing right the First time, and invite any suggestions or experience any of you might have had.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

-Alby

check out this article from Wort-O-Matic

Also I built one of these and did NOT use silicon sealant, just the washer supplied with the element and 1" SS lock nut from Bargain Fittings and no leaks. I did NOT reinforce the bottom of the cooler. I DID use JB Weld to pot the connections rather than the cap method used in the linked article.

I also used the SS locknut / o-ring combo in mounting my heating element and have had zero leaks.

Are you mounting your elements on the bottom?

I am mounting them on the bottom a bit offset to each other to hopefully induce some convection currents. Do you guys have agitators on your Electric HLT's? What type of motor did you use?

I am using an agitator driven by a 240V, 60 RPM gear motor. Initially I wasn't going to use one because during the heating phase convection currents did a good enough job of keeping the water moving. However once the HLT reaches target temp, the water tends to stratify. Just by dipping my lab thermometer in I was seeing 10 degree changes in temperature.

I have a writeup on my HLT, the section on the agitator is towards the bottom.

Back