Electric HERMs Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I'm trying to design my electric HERMs and initially was gung-ho with a 5,500 watt ULWD element in both the BK AND the HLT. Is there any reason why most don't run that large of an element in your HLT? Most I've read of were using a 4,500 watt element, and the rest lesser wattage. Is it the power requirements that prevent you from going larger in your HLT?

I'm designing mine now and am struggling with what I'm going to go with. I have a 30 amp dryer outlet right next to my (future) rig, but it isn't GFCI. Obviously thats important and needs the upgrade to GFCI, so then why not just put in a 50A GFCI, hell at that rate, why not just do a seperate subpanel (spa) with 50A GFCI breaker included...this is driving me nuts, I think I've lost control (AGAIN).

And if I were to go with 30A, with a 24A load from the 5,500 element would I be able to run a 110 off this same circuit for a march pump and pid? Does that push me up into the 40-50A range if I wanted it all on one circuit?

I'm planning on all electric...HLT keggle, 70 qt Coleman Extreme MLT (not heated), and a BK keggle with your standard PID/SSR set-up and at least one March pump. Thanks.

You can you either element in a keggle/mlt.

Often, it is the load that is the decision maker.

I did the same thing on the spa panel. It was cheaper that way. I have a 30a circuit and I run a 3500w HLT and 5500w kettle, pump and stirrer on it. No problems

Back