Electric control panel build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-2787188443.jpg

Beautiful!

Nice work bro, I'm subscribed on this one.:mug:
Being a union man, ure going to need a union rep for the welding, supervising, picking up the mlt and hlt,lol:D.
Sorry J.K

image-3046404315.jpg

A few changes as I go, boil kettle on left 5500 watt element. What was once the mash tun is now the HLT. On the right is the new mash tun.

Im using bi-metal thermometers, for now. All weldless.
Heres a look into the mash run.

image-1943974851.jpg

And the exterior.

image-1795382185.jpg

Is there any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't just use the spa-panel (HD $50 one that everyone seems to use for GFCI) as your control box?

Other than space?

You should read nec 725-54. As far as mixing class 1 and 2 circuits you will be doing that in your control panel any way. I wouldn't tamper with the sub panel in a way that voids the UL listing.

HLT prepped for element. I'll install it tomorrow and leak check. Hopefully brewing a rye pale ale this Saturday.

image-1510763903.jpg

Brickout said:
Looks great. I can't wait to get all the parts I need to complete mine.

I got the spear and top. I should be out that way Sunday. I'll call you Saturday.

Going back a bit. I am a poor a$$ college kid and I didn't have to buy a single tool to make my electric brewery.

I think the problem is that our average citizen has lost the idea of what "basic tools" means.

Nice work on the build! looks great!

Man, all of you engineers and electricians making all your cool systems really gets my goat.:mad: Just kidding guys. I wish I had those tech skills. I can build anything but the electronic part of it confuses the heck out of me. Well if I catch my garage on fire while brewing, at least I can put it out.:ban:

rollinred said:
Going back a bit. I am a poor a$$ college kid and I didn't have to buy a single tool to make my electric brewery.

I think the problem is that our average citizen has lost the idea of what "basic tools" means.

Nice work on the build! looks great!

Thanks.

I have friends that have no tools, and couldn't replace a lightbulb. Oh wait- I work with those guys.

IBEW Local 1 here. Looks good brother.

I saw on a previous post that you have 2300 out of work, and I though our 900 was bad. Damn...

Don't look for work in St. Louis anytime soon. I've only got 6 hours til I finish my apprenticeship, and I'm having trouble doing that.

FattySparks said:
IBEW Local 1 here. Looks good brother.

I saw on a previous post that you have 2300 out of work, and I though our 900 was bad. Damn...

Don't look for work in St. Louis anytime soon. I've only got 6 hours til I finish my apprenticeship, and I'm having trouble doing that.

That sucks. I'm lucky to be working 40.

Thanks.

I have friends that have no tools, and couldn't replace a lightbulb. Oh wait- I work with those guys.

I had friends that paid me $20 to change their oil. With them buying the filter/oil and taking the used stuff for recycle...

They could never figure out why I laughed the whole 10 minutes it took me to change their oil.

Man, all of you engineers and electricians making all your cool systems really gets my goat.:mad: Just kidding guys. I wish I had those tech skills. I can build anything but the electronic part of it confuses the heck out of me. Well if I catch my garage on fire while brewing, at least I can put it out.:ban:

They way I approach things when I don't know enough about something is that it's a new mental challenge. We're never too old to learn something. Go to your library or home center or bookstore, get a book and start reading. There's tons of information in the web now too. Find a friend that knows these things and ask them to teach you. Not just do it for you.

Education and hands on experience can go a long way in life.

For future reference when filling any thing with a valve- make sure the valve is closed!!

image-3519286070.jpg

Well at least I have no leaks, other than the leaks I create.

Had to get creative on earthing the rubber coated HLT.

image-2073998388.jpg

image-915533279.jpg

I like to use the 1" PVC 45 elbow so if the element seal were to fail it wouldn't fill with liquid.

image-150200608.jpg

Thermometer is a touch off. Boiled for 30 min and no leaks in the eHLT.

onthekeg said:
Making some nice progress on the build Buddy.:)

Hopefully brewing a rye pale ale tomorrow. Everything is coming together.

These giant thermometers are pretty cool. I can check the temp from across the room!

Spooner61 said:
Have you thought about digitally controlling temp maybe through a plc or something

Yeah, my kettle is controlled by a pid and rtd probe. I'm still building my system. Eventually I will have a complete eherms.

Brewing up some Lakefront Fixed Gear, my new favorite.
Mash at 153 until full conversion, 90 minute boil, wlp001.
5 gallons @ 72% brew house efficiency

13.5 lbs 2 row
14oz crystal 60
10oz special B

.6 Columbus @ 60
.6 Chinook @ 20
1.2 Cascade @5
1.2 Chinook dry 7 days
1.2 Centennial dry 7 days

Lesson learned! Brew day prep my system, and whats that? Rust?!? Dont leave water in the kettles with elements. The base will rust!

Back