Electric Burners and Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
Posted this in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum and was told to also post here.

I was considering picking up a few electric burners to brew on my deck as I live in an apartment that doesn't allow gas burners. I have an aluminum brew pot (non-magnetic) so I cannot use induction.

Has anyone tried using multiple electric burners like the ones below for a 6 gallon boil?

http://www.target.com/p/kitchen-sele...1/-/A-10386198

Does anyone know how long it would take to achieve a boil using 2 of the above burners under 1 pot?

Or would I be better off splitting the boil into 2 pots and using 1 burner under each?

Any advice is welcome.

6 gallons with 1500 watts (750x2) with a starting temp of 152 and a 95% efficiency will get you to boiling in 37 minutes.

Going from room temp water to mash temps (152) will take about 54 minutes.

1500 watts with 120v service will suck up about 12.5 amps, so...you might pop a circuit breaker hooking 2 to the same circuit. Unless the wiring in your wall is pretty darn thin (smaller than 14-gauge wiring) I think you'd be okay. Now watch the electricians come in here and yell at me.

Do a google search for an excel spreadsheet called electric-heat.xls and you can play around with the numbers yourself.

They are only 750 watts, even 2 of them under one pot would never boil 5 gallons.

you would need about 3-5kw of radiant heat to boil that much. you lose alot of efficiency in the transfer of heat that way.

considered putting an element (or two) in the pot?

Save your money. Those things top out around 1100W. Your wort will only see 33%-50% of that. Most of the heat is lost to the air. The one you linked is probably 800W. Two will be enough to boil ...2 gallons? maybe? 50% of 2 x 800 = yawn

El cheapo stainless pots are induction capable and cheapo induction cookers can be had for $60.

6 gallons with 1500 watts (750x2) with a starting temp of 152 and a 95% efficiency will get you to boiling in 37 minutes.

Going from room temp water to mash temps (152) will take about 54 minutes.

1500 watts with 120v service will suck up about 12.5 amps, so...you might pop a circuit breaker hooking 2 to the same circuit. Unless the wiring in your wall is pretty darn thin (smaller than 14-gauge wiring) I think you'd be okay. Now watch the electricians come in here and yell at me.

Do a google search for an excel spreadsheet called electric-heat.xls and you can play around with the numbers yourself.

That spreadsheet is meant for heating elements are are immersed in the liquid so you get close to 100% heat transfer. So it doesn't apply here since he's heating from below and lots of the heat will be lost to atmosphere.

I'm assuming the numbers you're giving too are based on the assumption that he's using immersed heaters.

Like others have said, 750W (even 750W x 2) is not enough to boil more than a couple of gallons or so when in the liquid. Even less when below. These little burners would likely have problems with the weight too. They're not meant for a large pot with 50+ lbs of water (6 gallons).

Kal

The efficiency of heat transfer of *external* elements is commonly 33%-50%. Immersed elements is 90%+. If you buy a 800W heat plate, only 400W max will make it to the wort. The rest is radiated off into the air.

Back