Electric build in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellwood

Reaction score
Hi all, Im relatively new to brewing since my neighbor, who has brewed for years, got me interested on it about a year ago. We have been doing AG with a couple of extracts here and there and it's been on his 3 tier propane rig which is mostly manual operation minus a plate chiller & march pump. I have a background in Electrical and currently I&C, so you can imagine that after being the brewing assistant a few times I was quickly looking for ways to modify it. Well after I began reading articles, watching videos on homebrewing and visiting the LHBS I decided that it was time to jump in and make something. While brewing outside one freezing Detroit winter night I thought about doing it inside and not freezing our arses off; and that's when it hit me. Build an indoor electric brewery. After debating to do it in the basement or the garage I realized the garage was the best since it was already plumbed with a sink and I wasn't about to move my kegerator down the stairs. Ive taken quite a few pictures since the beginning and Ill do my best to post them along the way, as of now Im about 2/3 the way finished. After moving cabinets and fridges around a bit here is the space. Wish me luck and Cheers!

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

Hi all, Im relatively new to brewing since my neighbor, who has brewed for years, got me interested on it about a year ago. We have been doing AG with a couple of extracts here and there and it's been on his 3 tier propane rig which is mostly manual operation minus a plate chiller & march pump. I have a background in Electrical and currently I&C, so you can imagine that after being the brewing assistant a few times I was quickly looking for ways to modify it. Well after I began reading articles, watching videos on homebrewing and visiting the LHBS I decided that it was time to jump in and make something. While brewing outside one freezing Detroit winter night I thought about doing it inside and not freezing our arses off; and that's when it hit me. Build an indoor electric brewery. After debating to do it in the basement or the garage I realized the garage was the best since it was already plumbed with a sink and I wasn't about to move my kegerator down the stairs. Ive taken quite a few pictures since the beginning and Ill do my best to post them along the way, as of now Im about 2/3 the way finished. After moving cabinets and fridges around a bit here is the space. Wish me luck and Cheers!

Looks like your going vertical huh? Good Luck!! Im on the back nine of my electric brewery, check it out in my signature.

While waiting for the control components to arrive I had some cedar left over from a fence project last year and put this thing together in about an hour, hit it with a water sealant and 2 coats of poly acrylic clear. Screwed it to the studs for extra support.

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

When designing our brewery we had comfort in mind as well so went electrical and never regretted it. Worst thing that happened was last winter our dedicated chiller line which runs just inside an exterior wall froze when it was -13 out. The garage sort of solves a ventilation issue as well though you have to let some of that cold winter air in.

Primed and painted with left over spray paint, while not the ideal color I would have liked I'm forced to be resourceful with this build. Some components installed while others are in transit.

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Primed and painted with left over spray paint, while not the ideal color I would have liked I'm forced to be resourceful with this build. Some components installed while others are in transit.

I kind of like it in red! Also nice to see somebody else who's got some slightly misaligned holes (your's is straighter than mine though :p)

Lookin good! You are like 2 steps ahead of me, going to paint mine tonight after work. What kind of connectors are those on the bottom?

Thanks for the compliment, they are cord grips on the bottom. I'm going to hang female plugs instead of recessed receptacles. It gives me the ease of not having to bend over upside down to plug/unplug things. I am still using twist lock receptacles though

Subscribed. Love the cedar brewstand - very resourceful. And of course all the electrical pron is sweet!

Also digging the kegerator. You got a great space there!

Lookin' very good. Are you doing a 30 or 50 amp panel? I went 50 "just in case" I wanted to run both kettles at the same time. Glad I did because I have both of them on at the same time every brew day for mash in.

Lookin' very good. Are you doing a 30 or 50 amp panel? I went 50 "just in case" I wanted to run both kettles at the same time. Glad I did because I have both of them on at the same time every brew day for mash in.

Thanks, only 30A . We thought about possibly going that route to brew two beers at the same time but opted not to due to cost. We can always fire up the propane for hot water to accomplish that .

Thanks, only 30A . We thought about possibly going that route to brew two beers at the same time but opted not to due to cost. We can always fire up the propane for hot water to accomplish that .

I read about it after I cut them up:( It would have been a sweet config though. Next time right?

Same here, however I found another keg and cut the bottom out, a bottom drain MLT is a must have, no dead space and 100% drain of liquid as well for me an easy cleanup. Drain and tip over, scoop out spent grains.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408712969.944125.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I save my city water (cooling water) after it goes through the wort chiller then pump it into the mash tun to flush the grain down the drain. But I have a hybrid septic/ city sewer ejector pump set up, and I can divert to the septic which is backup for the sewer, so not a big deal.

Got this SPDT switch mounted under the bench , it's rated at 40A but it's not rated as an overload protection, I didn't mind because I have protection at the panel. cost $17 @ the Depot. It gives me the opportunity to kill power completely at the control box without having to go down to the basement

Haven't done much lately in regards to the build, been enjoying the last days of Summer. Having a SMASH by the pool

1410311846177.jpg

Back