• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Virginia Electric BIAB with pump and controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffhanger1821

Reaction score
SOLD! For sale I have a pretty awesome homebrewing setup for brewing your own beer. I built this myself, so I can attest to the fact that it works, but if you don't believe me, come by and take it for a test brew! This was a proof-of-concept prototype that I built prior to building the setup I have now, and I made several fantastic 10 gallon brews on this system. The contents of this setup are as follows: A standard half-barrel (15.5 gal) stainless steel keg, modified for homebrewing and capable of making 10 gallon batches (I did it!). This keg has a pickup tube, 2 three-piece stainless steel ball valves (one for pickup and one for recirc return), a sight glass and through-bulkhead thermometer. It also has a welded bung for the electric element to heat and boil the wort. The electric element is powered by 220-240 volt 30 amp power, this can usually be found in your house for an electric dryer or electric stove/oven. I have built a special power controller that uses a potentiometer to control the power to the element as a percentage of full power, making control of the boil and mash temperatures a cinch! If you already use a propane burner, this is a simple upgrade to make finer control a possibility, brewing indoors a possibility, and make running out of propane a distant memory. I am also including a completely brand new stainless steel polishing kit, as I bought it to polish the keg but never got around to it. This can give the keg a mirror polish finish, all you need is a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder ($20 at harbor freight if you don't have one). I am also including a new stainless steel welding bung and plug if you want to move the location of the element lower in the kettle (I thought of doing this, but it's not required) or convert it to two 120 volt elements. This will come with a fully stainless steel basket with legs to hold a custom voile bag off the heating element, ensuring a good recirculation and no burning. Oh yeah, for recirculation I've also included a March 120 volt pump! The stand is nothing fancy, literally built out of scrap deck boards and a scrap piece of plywood, but it works. If you are a local pickup kind of person, I'll include a 6 gallon glass carboy as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Look at my photo album! UPDATE: Apparently this linky doesn't work on mobile, so see below for pics.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/albums/prototype-brewery-8556.html

$400

I just saw after I read your post that the link doesn't work on my mobile either. Sorry! Here's the pics in my photo album:
0227151804.jpg

0227151804a.jpg

0227151805.jpg

0227151805a.jpg

0227151806.jpg

0227151806a.jpg

0227151807.jpg

0227151807a.jpg

0227151808.jpg

0227151810.jpg

Looks nice! How long to get to mash temps, then from mash to boil temps?

Not too long, at one point I timed it but I can't seem to find my notes. I do know that if I fill it to the brim (just over 15 gallons) I can get that to boiling in one hour from ground water of about 55-60 degrees. I don't ever remember it taking me more than about 20-25 minutes to get to mash temps (if even that long) with a "normal" amount of water for the dough in. I think I was using 11-13 gallons according to my brew day notes. I hope this answers your question!

BTW, I wrote that first post for craigslist, not HBT, so if is a bit cheesy/dumbed down and doesn't answer the right questions please let me know!

Back