Elderberry wine primary ferment..beginner question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumBugger

Reaction score
Hi,

Total beginner here.

I've got as far as my elderberries, water, yeast and nutrient etc in the tub and ready to begin fermentation. All the methods I have found don't describe how to cover the tub during this initial stage. Currently I have it in my tub with the lid on and the hole for the airlock uncovered. I literally just did this half an hour ago so any advice on how to continue would be great!

Cheers!

Hi,

Total beginner here.

I've got as far as my elderberries, water, yeast and nutrient etc in the tub and ready to begin fermentation. All the methods I have found don't describe how to cover the tub during this initial stage. Currently I have it in my tub with the lid on and the hole for the airlock uncovered. I literally just did this half an hour ago so any advice on how to continue would be great!

Cheers!

You can do that, but stick some cotton or something in the airlock oil to keep dust and things like fruitflies out.

A clean towel over the top will also do.

At this time of year, I have quite a few fruitflies appearing out of nowhere, so I"m using a lid and airlock for primary, even though I typically don't.

Thanks! I've put a small muslin cloth over the the airlock. One more question. I added the yeast, nutrient and citric acid to the mix about 1 hour ago. There's no signs of action in the tub...no froth etc as i've seen in most photos. The tub is warm though and from baking experience that would tell me the yeast is working... should I be worried!?

Thanks! I've put a small muslin cloth over the the airlock. One more question. I added the yeast, nutrient and citric acid to the mix about 1 hour ago. There's no signs of action in the tub...no froth etc as i've seen in most photos. The tub is warm though and from baking experience that would tell me the yeast is working... should I be worried!?

In an hour? No. Maybe, in three days or so if you don't see much activity then consider being concerned. Usually, it's about 24 hours or so before fermentation starts, but can be longer at times.

In an hour? No. Maybe, in three days or so if you don't see much activity then consider being concerned. Usually, it's about 24 hours or so before fermentation starts, but can be longer at times.

Thanks for the fast response and sound advice. Fingers crossed with this one hey!

I'm heading to the girlfriends parents house this weekend, they have a pear and apple orchard and don't use any of the fruit! :confused: . Planning on getting a bunch of fruit and having a go at a few ciders once this is in demi-johns.

Home brewing is addictive!:tank:

RB, what is your recipe? Do you have any elderberries left, elders and apple juice go very well together. We also like to just use a fine dishtowel over our red wines with a very tight flat elastic strap to keep the angry swarms of fruit flies out. One your ciders, you might want to ferment them directly in your carboys. Good luck picking. WVMJ

RB, what is your recipe? Do you have any elderberries left, elders and apple juice go very well together. We also like to just use a fine dishtowel over our red wines with a very tight flat elastic strap to keep the angry swarms of fruit flies out. One your ciders, you might want to ferment them directly in your carboys. Good luck picking. WVMJ

I have started a blog of my brewing, mainly to record my mistakes and methods so i can change things up and keep track of what works / doesn't work. The recipe is on there so feel free to have a look and let me know if it sounds OK! http://hobboshouse.blogspot.co.uk/

I used all the berries but it only took me 30 mins to collect that many, I left a good 4 trees untouched so I may get a few bunches this weekend.

My aim was a fairly clear and fizzy light cider. I'm not a fan of the very dry flat scrumpy style. Do you have any experience with this?

Cheers guys! I have to say my first experience of using forums has been super positive, thanks for all the help.

:tank:

Stir it good. Our local cidery produces everything from dry to sweet Euro style ciders, and they have one called a Scrumpy, I thought they made that up. Cheers, WVMJ

WVMJ said:
Stir it good. Our local cidery produces everything from dry to sweet Euro style ciders, and they have one called a Scrumpy, I thought they made that up. Cheers, WVMJ

Yeah scrumpy is a big deal in south west England! Super strong flat and cloudy... Rocket fuel! Does have a tendency to taste like vinegar....not my bag !

Cheers!

Back