Elderberry help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
I have right at a gallon of elderberry juice my wife made. She covered the berries (no stems) with just enough water to cover them, and boiled for around 15minutes, strained and refrigerated. The OG is around 1.020. I've never made any elderberry wine before... Can anyone give me an idea of how much tannin, acid blend, etc. to use? I also want to bring the OG up to about 1.090 before pitching, but I'm an English teacher, not a math guy, so I have no idea of how much sugar to add. I'm thinking around 1.5 pounds. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Download fermcalc or one of the fermentation apps, they can tell you how much sugar to add easily. Probably wont need tannins. Can you get an acid test kit? Are your berries wild or cultivated? Some people say wild ones have a lot more acid than the tame ones. You are one your way to a great wine. WVMJ

They were wild berries, and I think I can get an acid test. Thanks. I'll check out that app.

I have right at a gallon of elderberry juice my wife made. She covered the berries (no stems) with just enough water to cover them, and boiled for around 15minutes, strained and refrigerated. The OG is around 1.020. I've never made any elderberry wine before... Can anyone give me an idea of how much tannin, acid blend, etc. to use? I also want to bring the OG up to about 1.090 before pitching, but I'm an English teacher, not a math guy, so I have no idea of how much sugar to add. I'm thinking around 1.5 pounds. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

One lb of sugar will raise the gravity by .040. You say that the juice is already at 1.020 so a lb will raise the gravity to 1.060 another half pound will raise that gravity a further .020, and so the gravity will be ... 1.080. A quarter pound more will raise the gravity by another .010 and so that will be smack on 1.090 - which means that you will need 1 and 3/4 pounds of sugar. BUT that amount of sugar will increase your volume too. Me? I would mix the sugar and the juice in a larger container and ferment in a large food grade bucket. My guess is that a fair amount of sediment will drop out and you will have a scant gallon or less after you rack the fermenting juice to a secondary when the gravity drops close to 1.005. Good luck. Elderberry wine is quite fantastic.

Thanks. That's actually what I was planning. I have a 2 gallon plastic fermenting bucket that I can use for the first 10-15 days, then rack to a glass wine jug. Thanks again.

Back