El Dorado hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghast

Reaction score
Can any of you give me a review of this hop? With what hops does it pair well? Is it good for dry hopping? etc... Thank you :)

Hopslist is the place to look, they don't have pairing hops listed but that's easily worked out from the flavour/aroma description

I find it is a pretty mild hop, which can blend with other characterful hops but you can use it with a heavier hand, maybe 3:1 or something like that, as it can otherwise get lost in a blend.

It's got a watermelon-candy like flavor with notes of berry, but as others have said, it can get lost in a mix and need to be a little heavy-handed with it.

I'd pair it with a classic citrusy hop or other fruity hops.

I love El Dorado (just bought a pound in January), but they need to be paired with other hops. I did a single hop pale ale with them and felt like it needed something dank to go with it. I think columbus and El Dorado (with a 1-3 columbus-ED ratio) would yield some great results.

In fact, maybe I'll try that for my next NEIPA....

El Dorado is very sweet almost candy like. Can be watermelon, berry, apricot. To me it’s incredibly strong but straight candied fruit. It does benefit from being paired with something like Columbus I think.

Weird, I find it to be a big resinous, sharp and dank hop with a lot of sweeter fruit notes expressed at more moderate levels, but those are overwhelmed with big piney, herbal resinous flavours at higher levels. Almost a slightly less intense, but slightly more interesting range of potential flavours than simcoe. In terms of blending it obviously depends on what you are making, but for oil content it falls into galaxy, simcoe and to a lesser extent CTZ territory for me. Like if I'm making a big DIPA and want to use Vic secret, mosaic citra and El dorado I'd use 5:4:2:1 ratios based on oil levels. Obviously if you brew it and like/dislike something you adjust as needed, but you start somewhere and from experience it wouldn't be equal amounts.

El Dorado is pretty mild in terms of aroma and flavour, but it's indeed candy-like. I perceived candied cherries in a beer made with it. I think it pairs well with any fruit-dank-citrus-pine type of hops, where El Dorado is in bigger amounts.

I love El Dorado (just bought a pound in January), but they need to be paired with other hops. I did a single hop pale ale with them and felt like it needed something dank to go with it. I think columbus and El Dorado (with a 1-3 columbus-ED ratio) would yield some great results.

In fact, maybe I'll try that for my next NEIPA....
I look forward to a review of how it goes.

I have only used it in a few NEIPAs I've made. It was 20% of my hop stand and a third of my second dry hop. I used it with Mosaic, Citra and Amarillo. I have never done a single hop beer with it, so I'm not sure I could have picked it out of the mix of the other pretty pungent hops. But I was a huge fan of the hop profile and used the exact same hop schedule for several batches.

Also, Brulosophy did a Hop Chronicles on El Dorado, which I thought was informative:
http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/07/the-hop-chronicles-el-dorado-2016/

Can any of you give me a review of this hop? With what hops does it pair well? Is it good for dry hopping? etc... Thank you :)

I just brewed a Pale Ale with El Dorado yesterday and paired it with Nelson Sauvin 1:1. I used a CTZ hop extract at FWH to get around 20 IBU's initial bittering, then a mix of ED/NS at 5 and FO for a total of 42 IBUs. Will dry hop with ED/NS later on, but the first taste of wort indicates this combo is gonna be excellent. We shall see.

Favorite beer with El Dorado was one that friend designed the recipe - a fantistic IPA.

Waimea for bittering. El Dorado and Citra as late boil and flame out, then hop stand and dry hop of El Dorado, Citra and Amarillo

I made a SMASH with it, but used only 4 oz total, so it isn't a hop bomb.

I find it smells candy-like as others have said, but with a small amount in use the flavors I noticed were tea and something phenolic, not fruity.

Not a bad hop but I'm not gonna buy a pound of it either.

I've got a NEIPA featuring El Dorado, Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin in the fermenter now. Should be kegging on Sunday.

Would you mind posting a review after the beer settles off a bit? I have a supply of each of the hops you listed and may try this based on your review.

Back