EKG and Tet Hops = Brew What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did that. I came out great (according to others). I always give other's opinions about my beers to not sound snotty.

ok how about this. this is part of my hop(flavor and aroma) experiment to get a personal feel of the different flavors and aromas of hops. this is a 10 gallon batch but could be resized. I am dry hopping 5 gallons with goldings and 5 with tett. The East Kent would probably be better than the BC anyway. Last time I did this recipe I swapped the goldings for cascade and it came out as a great summer beer with a slight citrus flavor and good hop aroma. I'm sure others have better recipes but this is all the help I can give with my limited knowledge.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.96 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
1.25 oz Green Bullet [12.80 %] (65 min) Hops 26.9 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Those EKGs are really versatile. You can pretty much make any English style ale you want. Mild, Bitter (including ESBs), English Pale Ale, IPA, Strong Ale, Porter, Stout, you name it. Something easy you could do is take a maris otter base and add a little english crystal malt. Aim for an OG of around 1.050 and hop with the EKGs to about 25 IBU. Pitch a packet of Safale S-04. Super easy, cheap and should taste great.

Back