EK Goldings vs US Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
My LHBS doesn't sell EK Goldings (sometimes in pellet form) so I had to go with US Goldings. I'm no hop expert, but anyone have any knowledge to share here? I don't like pellets so I went with US whole hops instead. Much of a difference?

Dude, if you read this - did you actually get EK for your pub ale?

I think they're the same hops but grown in the US. IIRC, they actually have to be grown in East Kent to be called EKG's.

That being said, I've never used US Goldings because my LHBS carries EKG's.

Yea, saw they're subs for each other. Just wanted to make his brew "exactly" like the 1st place winner was made. :( . I couldn't get flaked white wheat either and had to go with just wheat malt...

Your subs will be fine Jeff.

I used EK Goldings, I bought them from freshops I think.

Flaked wheat only made that really nice rocky head--you'll probably get the same effect with the oats.

Have you ever had Boddington's in the can or on draft? I can't wait for you to try this. Honestly I couldn't tell a difference other than mine was a touch darker.

There are about 10 common hops in the Goldings family and they all do well as substitutes for each other. Given year-to-year variations in crops, reproducing something exactly is a real challenge.

Cool, thanks all. Yea, have had Boddingtions. Strangely enough the only time I ever have any is on the golf course of which I don't do but 3-4 times per year.

Just love those cart girls while golfing when college is in session :D.

Back