Either a resurrection, or a new build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
After reading all 600+ pages of the kegerator thread, and 50 some pages of homemade tap handles, I've been thinking about a kegerator of my own. After watching craigslist for a couple weeks and finding nothing local for my kind of price, (Meaning, not $300) I ended up on a three hour round trip. The ad, in it's entirety, said simply "Not sure if it works, got it as a project and decided not to do it." Pictures showed a commercial keg, regulator, tap/connector, and a dirty dirty fridge.

I'm not sure why these were put on, since the magnetic seals seem to be doing their job.

What's inside? Yeah, it's gross.

Two of the seven cans left behind leaked out. I'm sure thats why its moldy.

Now on to what made this purchase worth it...
There's a sticker on the back that dates this to 2007.

I had to open it up and see how it works.

It came with a keg. It has beer in it. But what is in it?? (and how old is it?)

A sticker? I didn't know Indiana did this, unless it was just an Indianapolis thing. The date on it s 2010. Six year old beer inside. I cleaned the keg coupling, stuck a party tap on and took a sample. Smells ok, looks ok, tastes a little flat. Should i try to re-carb it and drink it?

I don't think I want to use this fridge. A friend of mine has one that is drilled for a faucet, I just need to get ahold of him and tell him I changed my mind about taking it. That, or I build a shelf and convert my vintage IH fridge. So, first things first, I'm going to clean the coupler and faucet, and replace the lines. However, I am not sure what kind of hose to use. Everyone agrees on 3/16, but it seems like each website I go to has different hose. Poly, PVC, Vinyl, anti microbial, etc. That and for the ten feet I plan to buy, Shipping is going to double the cost. What to do? Is there a definite type of hose?

Wow, that refrig makes the one I purchased look brand new! Nice find on the regulator.

If it was me, I would not be drinking that beer, but to each his own...

There's something about a fridge that doesn't work, wearing a sticker that says "I used to be cool". I took the faucet out and took it and the coupler apart for a thorough cleaning. Before I scrap this junker, can I use the magnetic door seal on my IH fridge?

The original seals on the IH were long gone. Someone has used hardware store weatherstripping for a seal, and it kinda worked. It was either too thick or not thick enough. I pulled a little bit off so I could test the used magnetic stuff. The magnetic seal was held on by these strips. A few minutes with a screw gun and I had them all off.

It fit by trimming a little off the seal.

I took the inside of the door off by removing the clips that held the old seal. I just used some side cutters (or dikes if you prefer) and popped them out. The door panel came out in one piece. I laid the new old seals on top of the door panel, and starting at the bottom I centered it and marked it with a sharpie where to make my hole.

the notches where the clips held the panel in the door.

I didn't know just how to put the clips in. I tried a few different ways.

I ended up drilling a 3/16 or 1/4 inch hole where the clip needed to stick out. then I made a slit along the side. From here I could slip the clip in and the hole was small enough to hold it in position.

Yeah it's not pretty, but it worked. With all the clips in I too the seal from the freezer compartment and did the same. Unfortunately the IH fridge is a little wider than the donor, so I just kinda made do. The tricky part next was lining up the panel with the holes in the door, and inserting the clips in the seal. Once I had a clip in on each side I was able to use both hands to line up the clips and push them in. After it was all together I discovered that the seal was just too thick enough to not let the latch work. It's ok though, because the latch didn't always work correctly anyway. Good news, because the seal is now magnetic, the latch doesn't have to work.

Fun fact, IH refrigerators have a built in bottle opener.

Has anyone tried to call this Adam Campbell guy yet?

Love the built in bottle opener, though. Wish my vintage GE had that.

No I haven't tried to call him. It's been six years, I doubt he'd remember.

I'm working a deal to trade a big co2 tank for some vintage railroad lanterns. If not, the guy wants $150 for his tank. I'd like to tap a keg, any keg in the "New" kegerator, which is the same one as Kerber's 1950's GE.

Back