Efficient way of utilizing large ferm chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettomomyces

LHBS Curmudgeon
Reaction score
So, throwing out this question in kind of a broad way, but I'm looking for advice in the best way to utilize my large fermentation chamber.

It's a Fischer Scientific isotemp fridge, around 40cf with two big sliding doors. I got it on craigslist for a great price. The original owners got it free from work and had tried to use it to start a flower business, and then homebrew but they did not brew enough to make it worth using. They also had originally wired in a Johnson A419 digital controller, but my garage gets real cold in the winter so I wanted dual range and built a STC1000 controller for it. Using a small (tiny) space heater inside for heat. Rewiring that was fun...but the fridge has a light and a fan that run independently from the compressor, and the compressor itself is now powered directly by the STC controller.

So, what do you feel is the best way to utilize such a large space? I'm open to any advice on this... I could build stands and fit 4 sankes if I really wanted volume, but I don't go through that much beer. I brew 1-2 times a month doing 10g, mostly ales but I've been doing some lagers lately. I have a kegerator that fits 6 cornies. For fermentation vessels, 2 carboys and 2 sankes with tri clover fermenter kits from Brewhardware. Aside from that, I have hallway space that's relatively constant around 62-65.

Surprisingly this fridge is great on power consumption, and I have not noticed a large change in our bill in the 2 months I've owned it. It's incredibly well insulated.

It came with more of those racks, I think 7 in total, but they're not very strong an only maybe 20-30lbs a shelf before I'd feel uncomfortable.

IMG_0338.JPG

Fisher Fridge.jpg

I'd put a shelf in the middle so I could have various batches at various stages of fermentation. Would make it convenient for long term aging project beers in addition to the normal rotation.

Build a horizontal divider so that the sanke fermenters sit on the bottom. Then the top could be refrigerator temperature. That could have cold kegs waiting to go up. Or bottles. Or yeast. Or... Well you get the idea.

Then the STC1000s can control a damper or other device to let the cold down when needed. Each side could be separate. You would need two stc1000s controllers but then you get ferment at different temperatures. Each side could get it's own heater. If you could get a black box or something then you could have a saison at 80 and an IPA at 66 all at once while your next beers are cold conditioning up top.

I really like this idea though, thanks for the input guys. I would love to keep the top half at 32-34 all the time for lagering/conditioning and then still be able to have a specific temp down below. So, Maybe build a large wooden platform to separate the top and bottom, using a divider in the middle to separate right and left. Insulate it. And then mount two dampers going down into each chamber, with 4" fans. And control with an arduino. I know nothing about arduinos...but totally open to learning.

That sounds like an awesome plan. Man what a setup this will be! Since you have stainless fermenters you can put led light accent light strips all over to make it look awesome and show off your sweet homebrew setup!

Back