Efficiency..where am i going wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
Ok, after 12 AG batches, I am at a loss as to why i cannot improve my efficiency beyond 62%. I average about 55-60% efficiency. Here is my process.

I used a 48qt Igloo icechest with a two-pronged slotted pvc pipe bottom.
7.5 gallon aluminum boiling kettle. I used beersmith to calculate my mash and sparge water volumes, which is usually about 1.25qts per lb of grain for mashing and a little under 1 qt per lb for my batch sparge.

I typically do a 60 minute mash at 151-155f depending on beer style and such. I then slowly drain my wort into my kettle, usually over a 20 minute period. I then do a 1 round batch sparge, usually about 171f water. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then do a slow collection into my brew-kettle (which is now heating up on my burner). THis collection will usually last about 20 minutes.
I will usually collect about 6.4-7 gallons so that i will have 5-5.5 gallons after my 60 minute boil.

I do a gravity reading at this point, and usually have 50-60% eff pre-boil. And 50-62% after the boil....

It does not seem to help even if i crush my grains finer, so that is not the problem.
Any ideas on what i am doing wrong, or how i can improve my efficiency?

Break the sparge up into two batches. Personally, I do three after a pretty dense mash. Occasionally I end up with more than my pot can hold, so I boil it without any hops till I can get it all in there. 80% to 87% every time

kenb said:
I used a 48qt Igloo icechest with a two-pronged slotted pvc pipe bottom.

Can you explain more on your manifold? Everything else is pretty much how I was doing it with my cooler setup, I was getting about 80% I and 3 full lenght pve runs with thin slots evey 1/8 inch

Do you check for conversion and/or pH? This and your crush would be the most important factors for efficiency in batch sparging.

Kai

kenb said:
I used beersmith to calculate my mash and sparge water volumes, which is usually about 1.25qts per lb of grain for mashing and a little under 1 qt per lb for my batch sparge.

I usually use twice as much water for the sparge as I do to mash.

I typically do a 60 minute mash at 151-155f depending on beer style and such. I then slowly drain my wort into my kettle, usually over a 20 minute period. I then do a 1 round batch sparge, usually about 171f water. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then do a slow collection into my brew-kettle (which is now heating up on my burner). THis collection will usually last about 20 minutes.

Why are you draining so slow? I let the sparge water sit for around 5 minutes, recirculate, then let her rip! Is there a specific reason for letting the drain go for 20 minutes?

Any ideas on what i am doing wrong, or how i can improve my efficiency?

How much grain are you using for this recipe? What is the gravity reading on your final sparge runoff? I'll betcha a buffalo nickel you are under-sparging. Keep sparging that sucker till the runoff reads 1.010.

1. increase your sparge water volume, maybe 2qt/lbs
2. no need to be gentle on the run off...add sparge water, stir and let sit for a minute if you want, vorlauf, open valve and let it rip.

I can't see anything else by your post, but check grain crush and water chemistry. - Dirk

Stir more and do two sparges.
Absolutely no reason to drain slowly.
I typically get 50% of the sugars from the first runnings, then 33% and 16%. That last bit doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between 62% and 75% efficiency.

I don't see the OP saying he stirred and vorlauf'd the sparge. Something that simple will help get more sugars into the sparge water, and thus into the brew pot.

kenb said:
1.25qts per lb of grain for mashing and a little under 1 qt per lb for my batch sparge.

To make a 5g batch, I need to collect about 6.75g (27 qts) from the sparge, and end up with about 5.25g into the primary after the boil (same as you).
Using your figures of 1.25 qts per lb for mash, and 1 qt for sparge, you are adding a total of about 2.25 qts per lb. After the grain has absorbed about 0.6 qts per lb, you will be able to get 1.65 qts wort per lb.
Dividing the 27 qts by 1.65, gives a little over 16 lbs grain :drunk: That's a lot of grain for a 5g batch. What sort of OG are you shooting for?

-a.

brett said:
I usually use twice as much water for the sparge as I do to mash.

Why are you draining so slow? I let the sparge water sit for around 5 minutes, recirculate, then let her rip! Is there a specific reason for letting the drain go for 20 minutes?

How much grain are you using for this recipe? What is the gravity reading on your final sparge runoff? I'll betcha a buffalo nickel you are under-sparging. Keep sparging that sucker till the runoff reads 1.010.

Hmm, i have always used slightly more for my mash than for my sparge...so i should flip that around to increase efficiency? I started draining it slower because my efficiency sucked, lol...guess it doesn't make much difference. I think that recipe jad 17lbs of grain....

david_42 said:
Stir more and do two sparges.
Absolutely no reason to drain slowly.
I typically get 50% of the sugars from the first runnings, then 33% and 16%. That last bit doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between 62% and 75% efficiency.
So buy doing two sparges, should i split the water in half..ie half for first sparge and half for second?

ajf said:
To make a 5g batch, I need to collect about 6.75g (27 qts) from the sparge, and end up with about 5.25g into the primary after the boil (same as you).
Using your figures of 1.25 qts per lb for mash, and 1 qt for sparge, you are adding a total of about 2.25 qts per lb. After the grain has absorbed about 0.6 qts per lb, you will be able to get 1.65 qts wort per lb.
Dividing the 27 qts by 1.65, gives a little over 16 lbs grain :drunk: That's a lot of grain for a 5g batch. What sort of OG are you shooting for?

-a.

yeah on that recipe, i used about 17lbs of grain and was shooting for 60% eff since that is about the best i ever get...

Oops. Slight mathematical aberration on my part. The grain absorbtion wouldn't be anything like as much.

However, 17 lbs grain for a 5g batch is a lot, and I'm not surprised that your efficiency is suffering as a result.

I think that if you cut the grain bill back to about 12 - 13 lbs, stir well before draining, and do two sparges of roughly equal volumes, that your efficiency will increase substantially

-a.

ajf said:
Oops. Slight mathematical aberration on my part. The grain absorbtion wouldn't be anything like as much.

However, 17 lbs grain for a 5g batch is a lot, and I'm not surprised that your efficiency is suffering as a result.

I think that if you cut the grain bill back to about 12 - 13 lbs, stir well before draining, and do two sparges of roughly equal volumes, that your efficiency will increase substantially

-a.
THe 17lbs was my most recent recipe, but even on several of the batches i have done in 11-13lb grain range, i never get more than 55-60%. So i adjust my grain bill accordingly. And i do stir before draining the mash, and again during the sparge.

I am going to do the two sparge technique instead of one, as that sounds like it could give me an extra 10% or so? I would be happy if i could consistantly hit 70%+...

I have had the same problem as of late. I would double your sparge water and than just boil it down. That is really the best way to get your eff. up. The only other option is keep doing as u are and boil as normal just use more grain. The most important thing is that you hit the OG and have the beer you want. I boil for 90 to 120 minutes on anything over 12 pds. becasue I end up with 8 + gallons pre boil. I also would just open it wide open after you mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.

Jay

Back