Efficiency vs Lauter Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schematix

Reaction score
So the rule of thumb for fly sparging is 1 qt/min. Today i lautered at 2 qt/min and got 93% efficiency (same as i got 3 weeks ago with similar grain bill that i lautered at 1 qt/min). Which made me think: What rates are possible without sacrificing efficiency?

Has anyone ever experimented with faster rates?

Denny - what is your batch size, MLT type and typical efficiency?

EDIT: BTW, love your yeast.

Denny - what is your batch size, MLT type and typical efficiency?

EDIT: BTW, love your yeast.

90% of the time I brew 5.5 gal. batches, collecting about 7.5-8 gal. of wort. You can see my setup at www.dennybrew.com . My efficiency averages 85%. I have discovered long ago that sparge rate makes no difference in batch sparging and you can go as fast as your system will allow.

Denny - When you say "go as fast as your system will allow", what do you mean? I have a large Coleman Xtreme (72 quarts of so) with a braid. I have 12 AG batches on it and still have trouble draining my sparge - even after 15 minutes, there is still some noticeable wort sitting on top of the grain bed. I crush a pretty wide 0.045. Is this a stuck sparge? Or, just normal? I don't think it is normal as my mash efficiency is 68% - 70%.

I have tried fast, slow and medium and it really doesn't have much impact on how much liquid is left in the tun.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

Denny - When you say "go as fast as your system will allow", what do you mean? I have a large Coleman Xtreme (72 quarts of so) with a braid. I have 12 AG batches on it and still have trouble draining my sparge - even after 15 minutes, there is still some noticeable wort sitting on top of the grain bed. I crush a pretty wide 0.045. Is this a stuck sparge? Or, just normal? I don't think it is normal as my mash efficiency is 68% - 70%.

I have tried fast, slow and medium and it really doesn't have much impact on how much liquid is left in the tun.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

It sounds like a stuck runoff to me. I start my runoff for vorluaf with the valve just barely cracked so the runoff is slow and sets the grain bed. After I collect a couple cups to a qt., I pour that back over the grain (vorlauf), then open the valve up full. I crush very fine and have never had a stuck runoff using that method. It's not inconceivable that it could be the braid you use. FWIW I use Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321). Your low efficiency is likely due to your coarse crush.

Thank you Denny. I tend to drain rather quickly when I runoff for vorluaf. I'll try slowing it way down and see what happens. I do think I am just messing up something pretty basic. Batch sparging just can't be all that hard!

Thank you Denny. I tend to drain rather quickly when I runoff for vorluaf. I'll try slowing it way down and see what happens. I do think I am just messing up something pretty basic. Batch sparging just can't be all that hard!

EVERY tine I show someone how to batch sparge, after all the wort in in the kettle they say "Is that it?". They can't believe how easy it is!

Denny - An update. Made an nice IPA today. All Centennial IPA. Crushed a bit finer - .042. Didn't want to go too much closer on the gap to get some idea of my lautering.

Vorluaf - VERY slow, less than 1 qt per minute x 4 quarts. This did the trick. Very nicely drained grain bed. Mash efficiency - 72.9%. Good enough. I will probably tighten up the gap on the mill by another 2 thousandths next time and see what I get. If I can nail 73% time after time, I'll be quite happy with that. 75% is my goal.

Thank you for your input. I know you have heard is dozens, maybe hundreds of times, in the past, but - it is really cool being able to get input from someone who has accomplished so much. I very much appreciate the fact that you still put a lot of time into giving back to the general community.

First, you should start a new thread for this. It's a much different topic than what it started off as so you're less likely to get a good answer.
However, I will offer some guidance while you post this to a new thread:

Your grist looks too course to me. I see a lot of whole kernels in your tun.

If you're saying you didn't drop temperature at all over an hour then I'd also be suspicious of your temperature measuring device. Are you stirring? Its very normal to use a couple degrees per hour in a cooler mash tun.

First, you should start a new thread for this. It's a much different topic than what it started off as so you're less likely to get a good answer.
However, I will offer some guidance while you post this to a new thread:

Your grist looks too course to me. I see a lot of whole kernels in your tun.

If you're saying you didn't drop temperature at all over an hour then I'd also be suspicious of your temperature measuring device. Are you stirring? Its very normal to use a couple degrees per hour in a cooler mash tun.

Thanks for the reply. For my mash tun, I use a 10 gal orange cooler and I put a few blankets on the lid while it's closed. I may have exaggerated and maybe lost 0.5F or so, but its hard to tell with the scale on this thermometer that I use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00838TYDK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'll take your advice and start a new thread.

Oh, and no, I am not stirring. I had read advice to just close the lid and leave it alone for an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back