efficiency points chart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I'm starting to get frustrated because I'm trying to learn about efficiency calculations and I keep finding number values for certain grains, but I have no idea where the numbers come from. Is there a chart that has point values assigned to each grain?

Thanks,

Zach

slyngshot said:
I'm starting to get frustrated because I'm trying to learn about efficiency calculations and I keep finding number values for certain grains, but I have no idea where the numbers come from. Is there a chart that has point values assigned to each grain?

Thanks,

Zach

I use this book. "Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels. - 1996" It has charts for grains, hops, and adjuncts. Everything you need to know about designing or modifying recipes

I would start here. The number, I believe, is the gravity at 100% efficiency for 1 pound of grain in one gallon of water. Then you take that number minus 1 and multiply by your mash efficiency then multiply by 1000 for points you will get out of the grain (for 70% eff. and a grain with 1.030 listed, it would be 21 points for one pound of grain).

It varies from lot to lot even for the same cultivar and malster so it's not all that cut and dry but I just go with the typical values.

You can look for the analysis sheets like: http://www.briess.com/pdf/Malthouse...ng/Vienna Malt WK/PIS BREW Vienna Malt WK.pdf

Just as an example, look at the CG, dry basis number of Breiss Vienna (76.5%). That actually means 76.5% of the 1.046 which is 35 PPG. Compare that to 2-row who's CG dry basis is 79.5% or 36.5 PPG.

edit... oh yeah, the wiki. When it doubt, wiki it out.

Thank you all so much! I searched the wiki but apparently I didn't use the right key words for my search and I didn't come up with much. I really appreciate the help!!

Beersmith doesn't always have the right numbers.
For example, in Beersmith, Belgian Pale Malt is listed at 1.037. This years Dingeman's crop is 1.0356 if you calculate it from their published dry fine grind and moisture percentages.

Beersmith doesn't always have the right numbers.
For example, in Beersmith, Belgian Pale Malt is listed at 1.037. This years Dingeman's crop is 1.0356 if you calculate it from their published dry fine grind and moisture percentages.

I can live with that tolerance.

I explain efficiency in somewhat layman's terms in an article on my website, see below. How it relates to unmalted grains? It relates to ALL grains, malted or not.

I guess my question is... is there a formula that will allow me to figure out final gravity considering the steeping grains do not have fermentable sugars but add to the OG? I know Beersmith can give me the numbers, but I'd rather understand it.

It's safe to say that you could estimate your recipes calling the grains all 36ppg, calculate your recipes, figure out your brewhouse efficiency and make good beer as strong or as light as you please. Or you could print off any one of thousands of grain yield lists here or elsewhere on the net (my two old brewing books have fairly concise charts, try a library). You could spend the money on beergoogles of various types or get the freebies like me. Basically the world is your oyster, but remember, we're not building brains or saving lives here, so a gravity point here or there doesn't need to ruin your experience.

It's safe to say that you could estimate your recipes calling the grains all 36ppg, calculate your recipes, figure out your brewhouse efficiency and make good beer as strong or as light as you please. Or you could print off any one of thousands of grain yield lists here or elsewhere on the net (my two old brewing books have fairly concise charts, try a library). You could spend the money on beergoogles of various types or get the freebies like me. Basically the world is your oyster, but remember, we're not building brains or saving lives here, so a gravity point here or there doesn't need to ruin your experience.

Ah! Yield lists... I just needed to know they existed! Ha! Thank you :)

Back