Efficiency numbers cooler with copper manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Are numbers in the low to mid 80s common for this type of set up?

I have a 48 quart Coleman cooler with a self build manifold. I do a single infusion batch sparge. Running the numbers on my latest batch through Hopville, it looks like im around 83% efficient. My OG was around 5 points higher than anticipated.

My prior batch (which was my first AG and was a kit) came in right at the anticipated numbers. I did tilt the tun when draining this time on my sparge, but thats the only real difference.

That number seems high to me given what Ive read about DIY tuns. I was expecting something in the mid/low 70s. Anyone else pulling these types of numbers from a cooler with copper manifold.

I would be at least 75% with a single batch sparge. I switched to false bottom with herms and now usually 80-85%

I uses 10g round Bev cooler with a copper manifold and no false bottom, my usual mash/lauter efficiency is 83%

I use a 5 gallon and I get routinely between 85 and 90%. The smaller cooler means less liquor that remains in the mash with sparging. I usually do 5 or 6 sparges.

Latest posts

Back