Efficiency not as good as I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I have been averaging about 84% efficiency for my AG batches, according to my hydrometer readings. I bought a refractometer this week, and to calibrate it, bought a gallon of distilled H2O. I figured, let me check my hydrometer calibration while I'm at it. 60F distilled H2o...1.004!!! Not cool. Oh well. Hope my refractometer works out better.

That stinks eh? I love the refract. You can take sample after sample, so easy, no cooling... such small volumes.

That stinks eh? I love the refract. You can take sample after sample, so easy, no cooling... such small volumes.

I'm not so much bothered by the lower efficiency, just bad equipment. I think I'm gonna love the refract., as I like to take a bunch of readings(first runnings, final runnings, preboil, post boil...etc)
Just have to get used to the Brix scale, that's all.

Yeah, that is awesome, they are super accurate. Any brewing sofrtware will have an easy calculator to convert Brix to SG

Yeah, that is awesome, they are super accurate. Any brewing sofrtware will have an easy calculator to convert Brix to SG

Found a converter on morebeer dot com. The OG reading is easy, as it's just a simple conversion. It's the measurements post-ferm that I need the converter for. I guess the alcohol refracts light differently than sugars and it throws off the reading.

Found a converter on morebeer dot com. The OG reading is easy, as it's just a simple conversion. It's the measurements post-ferm that I need the converter for. I guess the alcohol refracts light differently than sugars and it throws off the reading.

Yes, you need the original Brix and final Brix and the calcs. in the brewing software will take care of it.

Back