Efficiency drop mashing more grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubHead

Reaction score
Thanks to Denny (primarily) all grain extraction efficiency has improved to 85+% consistently. Since the improvement past brews have been 1.075 or less OG. Recently brewing batches with OG 1.090+ extraction efficiency has dropped to 80-85%. Mash equipment consists of 5 gallon round cooler and cpvc manifold that is square shaped with slights every 1/2 inch or so. Only batch sparing is done with this configuration.

It appears that conversion is NOT the issue but lautering. Would a false bottom or other lauter device increase the extract efficiency? Or maybe this is inherent with larger OGs.

Thoughtful comments appreciated. :)

I think it's inherent. Less liquor per amount of grain will mean less effective rinsing of the sugars no matter what process or equipment you use to lauter.

That level of efficiency is pretty darn good. As long as it is repeatable.

Loss of efficiency is inherent with bigger beers from my reading and this forum.

Cheers to you.

Try using more sparge water and increasing your boil volume. Increase the time you boil for bigger beers. This should help.

Try using more sparge water and increasing your boil volume. Increase the time you boil for bigger beers. This should help.

Yes more sparge water would increase extraction but already at max volume for boil kettle. Even with a larger kettle the added boil time would make for quite a long brew day which isn't something I would like to do regularly.

Boiling longer is an option, but can change the color and flavor of the beer. Sometimes it's best to just accept the drop in efficiency and use more grain to compensate. It might take a little trial and error until you know exactly what your efficiency will be for different size grain bills, but once you figure it out, it should be consistent.

Back