effects of unconverted starches in fermented beverages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrettrinpoche

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking here for several months now and finally reached a question that I couldn't find the answer to. I'm making a cider but added malted/kilned wheat, flaked barley (unmalted, non-diastatic), oats, one quart of grade-A maple syrup, and wheat dme (35% barley, non diastatic) to the boil. Using apple juice as my liquor, and with iodine tests as black as the night I chilled my wert and pitched my wyeast trappist hg starter. Fermentable sugar is definitely not lacking, what sort of impact can I expect for mouthfeel and taste?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm glad to finally be posting on here.

I don't think anyone has ever brewed a beverage like this before.
Have you made plain ole apple cider before?

From my experience, it will probably be cloudy, and have a very full body with a strong apple flavor.
Can't comment much more than that, though.

Did you get this from a recipe, or did you just make it up off of the top of your head?

You might want to try out this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/ for some info, as it's a similarly styled recipe.

I would just say forget about it for right now then bottle it in a month or so and give it three months (at least to age) and then report your findings. Be adventurous.

yeah I've made a few batches of cider/cyser that've turned out well, just wanted to try out some different adjuncts, when i tasted the wert after getting an OG (yes i know, a very misleading OG due to unconverted startches) it tasted like a granola bar. it smells FUNKY though fermenting, as in i wonder if it got contaminated funky. oh well we'll see

Back