Effects of Low Temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjack68

Reaction score
Well I have been making my second batch of Apfelwine and I have it stored out in the Garage. I started this back in late October when the temps in the Garage were 60-70 degrees. For the last couple of weeks the temps have gone down to around 50 and I notice that my cider is now completely clear and there is no airlock activity. Are the temps too low? Is my yeast dead? Finally is my mix ruined???
Thanks for any and all advice.

What is the gravity like? It might just be done and clearing. If not (if it's just getting too cold and the yeast are napping) get it warmed up!

I have a fermentation going at around 50 degrees.... its been going strong for 4 weeks now... Lets compare notes once mine is done?

Yeasties will not die in 50*F. They just sleep. If your FG is OK, you're clearing it up, which is a good thing. If you run a little high in FG, just means you don't need to back sweeten.

Hard cider is hard to mess up. Just wait and drink. That's my moto!

Its true.... I wasted so much of a cranberry cider that was amazing..... but I gave to much away before it got good.

Well I went out into the cold garage today and took a sample of my cider. It is very clear and there is no airlock action. Doing a taste test it tastes a little harsh with a strong alcohol taste. I'm thinking it just needs to mellow in the jug for a little longer we'll see :)

Back