Effect of pH on mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
What are the problems caused by mashing with a pH that is "too" high or low? If I have complete conversion and good efficiency does that mean that my pH was fine?

I don't know, but if your beer tastes fine and your brewhouse efficiency is reasonable then yeah , all is well. Monkeying with pH may make it better though, but at what cost, a hassle?

I think I heard that the water profile can also effect beer clarity. Particularly if you don't have enough calcium.

Unless you are curious about it and want to learn, I'd only recommend looking into it if you had a problem like "All of my stouts are awesome, but my light colored beers never come out right" or vice versa. That could indicate that perhaps your water was at one of the extremes and you may need to adjust / use bottled water when brewing the 'opposite' style.

What are the problems caused by mashing with a pH that is "too" high or low? If I have complete conversion and good efficiency does that mean that my pH was fine?

Yes. The biggest factor in the pH is the enzymes that are present. Too low pH and the enzymes are denatured and worthless. Too high of a pH and the enzymes will not be activated to highest potential.

Back