Effect of freezing wort on OG reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheatsheaf

Reaction score
I went to measure the original gravity and noticed that the tip of my hydrometer was busted (no idea how that happened). I let the wort sit in the hydrometer tube for just over a day. Unfortunately I did not have time to get a new hydrometer, so I took the sample and froze it. I was hoping that the freeze would stop the fermentation process.

Any idea how this will affect the OG reading? It sat in the open for a day, followed by being frozen for a week.

If it helps, I am brewing a lager.

You probably experienced some evaporation, which would raise the gravity of the remaining wort.

so you froze your gravity sample in the graduated cylinder? I think you could have just put it in the fridge to stop any fermentation from happening but since there's no yeast I think you could have just left it on the counter.
If you're saying that you pitched the yeast then pulled your sample I could see why maybe you'd want to freeze it since it's a lager.

In either case I don't think there would be too much change in OG. Even if some evaporated I don't think it would be enough to drastically change the reading.

Back