Eeek! Strange lid! Something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjapan

Reaction score
Yesterday I started my second brew - Black Rock Whispering Wheat with 1kg Munton's Wheat Spraymalt (instead of sugar).

Tonight I got home and the lid looks.... funky?! Is there something wrong?

20090319-221558-dsc_5245-2.jpg

My first brew was Black Rock lager with sugar so maybe this is just to be expected with a slightly darker beer with malt, but what confuses me is how the lid became like this, as if there's been an explosion inside and things are sticking to the lid. But there's no spillage.

How did the lid get so funky? Is it normal or bacteria?

Looks like you had a near blowout. That is the remnants of a fallen krauzen which went all the way up to the top of the lid before it fell.

Everything's fine...but you know if you are getting THAT active of fermentations, it may behoove you to put a hole and grommet for an airlock and add one...or a blowoff tube. Or at least not snap the lid on, or you will be painting your ceiling.

Thanks for your reply.

The lid is supposed to have gaps in the side to let out air. If I push down on the lid then I can hear air come out.

Is it safe to open the lid slightly. Should I do that and put a towel over it or something to keep stray air getting in?

it's fine how it is.
as long as it's letting CO2 out (and by your description and picture, it seems like it is), there's no problem.

no need for a towel over it now -- the "worst" part looks like its over.

Co2 is protecting your beer, and if their are gaps to relieve the pressure then it is pushing out...Nothing can get it. You don't have to do anything, and there's no reason to open the lid if it has vents....

If the krausen has fallen, and it looks like it has, then you are past the active phase, and it's doubtful you will have a blowout. So you can just relax.

Only problem is, I'm going away for 3 days on holiday from tomorrow morning (7 hours time). I don't want the thing exploding while I'm away!

After posting, I found this at the bottom on the left and right, where the v.small vents are:

20090319-223020-dsc_5246.jpg

I've ever so slightly broken the seal on the lid by 1-2mm. Should I reseal or leave with breathing space?

By the way, what's the "active" phase? I only mixed this last night - it's less than 24 hours so far. I thought the yeast was active for several days.

The yeast are still Active meaning working away for you...but let's call it the hyperactive phase which has passed. Looking at the original picture it looks like there 3 or 4 inches from the top of your fermenting beer to the top of the lid...that is probably intentional on the part of the bucket designers to keep blowoffs at bay. I don't even see much of a krausen sitting on top of the beer, so I am betting that that part of the fermentation is over....so again, there is no need to do anything else.

It is unlikely that anything else like that would happen again.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

Ok, thanks for your help. I'll reseal. If it explodes when I'm away, please help me clean it up. Lol...

The vents might be clogged if they really are v. tiny. Personally, I would crack it if I were about to go away for 3 days (but I am a nervous newb too).

The vents might be clogged if they really are v. tiny. Personally, I would crack it if I were about to go away for 3 days (but I am a nervous newb too).

Yeah, I actually said to leave it the way it was (meaning kinda loose.) If you're going to be gone I'd leave it slightly loose...liker I said, and you confirmed by it bulging, there is plenty of CO2 protecting it.

Ah, OK. I was confused as to whether you meant leave the lid as it originally was (sealed but with small venting by design) or after I'd opened it slightly.

If I remember in the morning after 3 1/2 hour sleep, I'm going to move it into the bathroom. In Japan the whole bathroom including floor and walls drain out to the floor so hopefully if it does explode, I'll be able to clean up easily :)

Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated.

I'd be buying a 'normal' bucket or add a hole and grommet so you can put a proper airlock on that bucket.

required? no.

will it reduce risk of contamination? yes.

will it reduce the chance of your bucket lid flying off when the side vents get plugged with krausen? yes.

Back