edX Class: Beer the Science of Brewing (24 Feb 2020)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positronic_Matrix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read on reddit that Professor Kevin Verstrepen (VIB-KU Leuven Center for Microbiology) has created a massive open online course (MOOC) on the science behind beer. The course goes live on edX on 24 Feb 2020.

The user u/swarlie goes on to state:

Through a series of lectures and online course material, you can learn how the ingredients, different biochemical reactions, and process parameters influence the taste and aroma of beer. The course combines theory with small experiments to give hands-on experience with some of the concepts discussed in this course.

You also get a peek inside some of Belgium’s most iconic breweries (Orval, Duvel, Stella Artois, etc.) including discussions with the brew masters. It features talks from different Belgian brewers and maltsters, as well as from some of the most renowned academics on key features of the malting and brewing process, including Prof. Charlie Bamforth!

It’s edX, so it’s free. I’m already signed up! Here’s the URL:

https://www.edx.org/course/beer-the-science-of-brewing

Last edited:
How does edx work? Do I have to be there in realtime for the course or can I consume at my pace?

You can watch the lessons and access the supporting material (e.g., handouts, quizzes) whenever you have time. I still have access to material from a course that ended in August. From their support page:

After the course end date, as a verified learner, you will have access to archived course content and materials, as long it exists on edX.

The trick is that one must sign up for the course before it ends, in order to access the archived content.

I originally posted on 20 Dec 2019. One month later (halfway), I wanted to remind folks that the class starts on 24 Feb 2020. Over 26,000 people are currently registered.

Did anybody take this course and have some takeaways? I'm particularly interested in how deep they go into some of the sticky details. Is it for total brewing novices? experienced brewers? biochemists? Louis Pasteur?

Back