EdWorts Haus + Rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
So I recently had Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale and it got me thinking. I wonder how EdWort's Haus would be with some Rye mixed in. The Terrapin tasted similar to Edwort's recipe. This is what I came up with, sorry if I've bastardized it Ed! I don't have any Cascades on hand...

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Volume: 12.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

13.00 lb Pale Ale (Crisp) Grain 65.00 %
4.00 lb Vienna Malt Grain 20.00 %
2.00 lb Rye, Flaked Grain 10.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 5.00 %
1.45 oz Magnum [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Bitterness: 38.1 IBU
Alcohol by Volume: 5.25 %

After some experienced with Rye, I'd say to reduce the amount you use. It's strong stuff and has certain unique properties. If you haven't had experience with it, be careful.

cge0 said:
After some experienced with Rye, I'd say to reduce the amount you use. It's strong stuff and has certain unique properties. If you haven't had experience with it, be careful.

I agree, but I personally love Rye. I have used up to 30% of it before. I don't think 10% is very much...:D

Soulive said:
I agree, but I personally love Rye. I have used up to 30% of it before. I don't think 10% is very much...:D

Ah, cool.
Just going off tangents here, how long do you usually age your beers that contain rye? I wonder if the taste progresses somewhat. I used 20% (2/10lbs) in a recent beer, and I'm wondering if I should age longer. So far it's about a month and a half old.

Good luck with your brew man.

You can get your Rye pretty high if you like the flavor. I just did a RyePA that's in secondary that has 30% rye. It's pretty spicy, but good.

cge0 said:
Ah, cool.
Just going off tangents here, how long do you usually age your beers that contain rye? I wonder if the taste progresses somewhat. I used 20% (2/10lbs) in a recent beer, and I'm wondering if I should age longer. So far it's about a month and a half old.

Good luck with your brew man.

I don't honestly know if aging does anything for Rye. I usually only age beers above 8-9%abv regardless of the ingredients. If the beer you're talking about is hoppy, I'd drink it now. Cheers...

RoaringBrewer said:
Love the terrapin rye.... recipe looks great. A rye beer is 3rd in line on my to-brew list... so it will be done in time for late spring/summer.

Yeah, the Terrapin is in the top 5 of most drinkable beers I've ever had. I love using Rye in the warmer weather. I gotta say though, I'm thinking Roggenbier soon despite its darker/heavier character...

Back