Edworts haus pale on fire!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I just kegged my spicy jalapeno version of Edworts haus pale. I posted a few questions asking for advice on how to get the spice. I ended up putting 2 roughly chopped jalapenos in the last 5 minutes of the boil.

I let it ferment out and when deciding if i should keg or put in secondary i tasted it and found that there was a little jalapeno flavor and no heat at all. So i decided to rack to secondary and put 2 jalapenos in the secondary and tasted in a week....

After that week there was just a slight hint of heat and it tasted pretty malty yet. So i chose to add 2 oz of Saaz hops and a half of a habanero pepper (seeds and membrane included). After another week the heat was perfect.

Just kegged it up tonight. i cant wait to taste this one!

one question tho...

I forced carbonated according to a thread that i found on here from a guy who was in the same situation as me...no keggerator yet. Ive been drinking my kegged beer (that were cask conditioned until now) at cellar temp. about 62 deg.

so for this keg i put 30 lbs of pressure on it, attached the co2 line to the "out" port and rolled it on the ground for a few minutes, let it sit on its side for a couple more and then rolled it around for a couple more, disconnected and put in the basement.

I really hope that this will work and would love any insight on this method of carbonating.

Ha! I guess i should have posted 2 questions. any name suggestions would be awesome too! I was thinking "the devil down below" after the Gaelic storm song about a whaling ship and the condition you get while on the toilet after too much capsasin.

I recently put together a habanero porter. I did not use any in the boil, but did 'dry hop' the pepper (no seeds) in the serving keg. I noticed that the habanero heat was more noticeable at higher temperatures and hard to pick out at low temperatures (right out of the keg). So don't be surprised if some of the heat appears to be missing when you finally cool down your keg.

I am a firm believer in the 'set it and forget it' carbonation technique. Just dial in your reg at the correct serving temp and let it sit there until it is done. However, if you don't have a kegerator I doubt this method would work because you need to set your pressure at the appropriate temperature.

According to this: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php , you want to be around 24 psi for 62*F. You can burst carb at 30 PSI like you said, (you don't run too much of a risk of overcarbonation at 62*F), but then it should stay on the gas at 24 PSI for a week or two to carb up properly. Shaking/rolling it at 30 PSI for a few minutes then disconnecting won't get enough CO2 into the beer to have it fully carbed at those temps. At these higher pressures, you'll want longer dispensing line than usual, say around 20' of thick-walled 3/16" bev line, to avoid a foaming issue.

Back