Edworts Haus Pale Extract Version. Cannot find Munich LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I was looking at trying an extract version of Edworts Haus pale. The recipe calls for

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

The problem is I cannot get any Munich LME. I was wondering if I could add more Extra Pale LME to make up for the Munich LME, and then steep some Munich grains to make it somewhat similar.

I dont know if this makes any sense. If it doesnt is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Also this is supposed to be a full boil, but I do not have a pot big enough. Is there anyway to convert this to a partial boil?

Thanks

Austin Homebrew Supply has Munich LME. Also, if you want to do a partial boil, I would just increase the hop amounts. You won't get as good hop utilization as you would with a full boil, so you may want to increase your amounts by 10 to 20%

Let me know how it turns out! I am hoping to make this in January!

Would you have any issues using 2.5 lbs of grain? Looking over the original recipe for Ed's haus ale, it calls for 2lbs of vienna malt. If you can handle mini-mashing/steeping 2.5 lbs of grain, you can use your regular LME and steep some vienna malt. Maybe up the LME a tiny bit (0.5lb?) to account for the fact that you might have a little lower efficiency from a steep+rinse than a proper mash+lauter.

As for converting to a partial boil. I suggest boiling your hops in your partial volume of steeped-grain water without the LME in it and then just add the LME in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Dilute to your final volume when done.

This will prevent the thick wort of a heavy partial volume from effecting hop utilization and would probably get you pretty close to Ed's IBUs.

So by mini mashing/ steeping, could I follow Deathbrewer's Partial mashing technique?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

How much strike water, and sparge water would I use for that amount of grains??

As well would I just throw the vienna and the crystal into the same bag? even though one is for steeping and one is for mashing??

You don't need to get super technical here.

I would suggest using about 3 to 4 quarts of water, heated to 150*F. Soak the grains in it for 45 minutes, then put in a strainer and dump another 3 quarts of water over them and let it drain into the pot. Top off to your partial volume boil amount and let'er rip.....

edit: "dump another 3 quarts of hot (170-180*F) water over them..."

So if I put the LME in at the last 15 minutes, should I still up the hop amount by 15%?

No. Do one or the other.

The issue you are addressing with either of these techniques is that hops utilization goes down as the gravity of the boil goes up.

So, if you add extract at the beginning, you wort will be very thick. You will need to use more hops because you are going to get less out of them.

But, if you boil the hops in the thin grain water, you will get full hop utilization. Then you add extract at the end, just to get it dissolved and sanitized.

Back