Edwort's Haus Ale as a steam ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I've been brewing my variation of Edwort's Haus Ale using homegrown hops.
I renamed it Vermont Brick Haus Ale:

9.0 lbs American 2-row

2.0 lbs American Vienna

0.50 lbs American Caramel 20°L

0.25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt

1.0 oz Nugget (9.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min

0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min

0.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

0.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

I sometimes substitute Galena or Target for the bittering hops.

Recently I brewed a ten gallon batch and split it into two fermenters, one with Nottingham and the other with Saflager. The lager batch fermented 2 weeks in the primary at 65F, 2 weeks in the secondary at 45F and then crash cooled for two days and forced carbed and kegged at 15 psi. If you are looking for another variation on Edwort's great recipe... check this out. I'll be brewing this again for the summer months.

Cool concept. I never thought of brewing it as a Steam Beer. Let me know what you think after it is 8 weeks old.

EdWort said:
Cool concept. I never thought of brewing it as a Steam Beer. Let me know what you think after it is 8 weeks old.

This batch isn't going to live that long. The college son is home for the week. I'll be lucky to have a pint left when he heads back on Sunday.

At 4 1/2 weeks, its very tasty and smooth

mew said:
Any major taste differences from the original?

It seems less "hoppy" and lighter in taste... closer to something like Molson or LaBatts (without the skunkiness), but that may well be due to the longer fermenting time or the fact that I generally drink my ales young.

Back