Edworts Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
I was going to follow his recipe but saw you could use brown sugar instead of corn sugar. When I was at the store didn't remember how much sugar so I bought 4 pounds. Any reason not to put this much in? Will it affect the taste or just ABV?
Daum

The more sugar, the more alcohol, and the drier the whole thing is going to taste. At 4lb of sugar it is going to be really dry if you don't back sweeten it. At least it would be if you used corn sugar. The brown sugar should ferment out a bit differently, I would be a bit weary about putting in 4lbs though.

I used brown sugar in mine, but I only used 2.5 lbs. And I'm kinda eager to see how it turns out. I think 2.5 lbs might have even been too much. We shall see.

I would also be weary of 4 lbs brown sugar...might be too much. Go for 2 lbs and save the other 2 for your next batch.

just before i make this i bought motts apple juice doesn't say anything about preservatives on the bottle but does it have them? Don't want to ruin the apple juice if i bought the wrong type.

EDIT: Quick search of motts.com shows that it doesn't have any...good!
Thanks,
Daum

i used 2.2 lbs brown sugar(1 kilo bag) with 1 cinnamon stick in my last batch and swmbo likes it better than the original version. i think the brown sugar leaves it a wee bit sweeter.

I also used brown sugar as I was not able to find corn sugar in the store, and I didn't want to drive all the way to the LHBS. I also used White Labs english ale yeast instead of the wine yeast. I am hoping for a sweeter rather than drier finish.

I'm making this on Sunday for my Sis In Law. She just got engaged and the wedding is 10/08 so it will have a lot of time in the bottle. She dosen't like "dry " wine and if I'm reading corrrectly brown sugar will make it sweet and not dry? And Ale yeast will also help?

uh ohh Here comes the bannana's again!!!!:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

smoke76 said:
I'm making this on Sunday for my Sis In Law. She just got engaged and the wedding is 10/08 so it will have a lot of time in the bottle. She dosen't like "dry " wine and if I'm reading corrrectly brown sugar will make it sweet and not dry? And Ale yeast will also help?

uh ohh Here comes the bannana's again!!!!:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

I would think it would still finish dry, and you'd need to sweeten it if you don't want it dry. Two months really isn't a long time, so get cracking!

Yooper Chick said:
Two months really isn't a long time, so get cracking!

My bad I meant 10/08. 1 year and 2 months!
I noticed a lot are using slenda to sweeten. Is there a specific reson why? Bottle Bombs mabey?

g

I have my first batch in the primary for a week.

My plan is to split the batch into four different types at bottling. I want to make

1.25 gal- straight up
1.25 gal- carbonated
1.25 gal- no carbonation w/ splenda
1.25 gal- carbonation w/ splenda

how much priming sugar should I add for a 5 gallon batch and how much splenda should I add for a 5 gallon batch?

Wrey said:
how much priming sugar should I add for a 5 gallon batch and how much splenda should I add for a 5 gallon batch?

I think that depends on personal taste.
Once it's made you could take a glass and taste it. If you add a tablespoon of splenda (as mentioned before it won't ferment out) to a 12oz. glass and like it that would be roughly equal to a cup per gallon.
Some one please check my math if you get a chance.

5 gallons -> 640 fl oz. -> 80 cups
16 TBsp/cup
80 cups / 16 TBsp = a 1:1 ration of 5 cups to 5 gallons or 1cup per gallon.

That seems like a lot since splenda seems sweeter to me but what ever amount of sweetner you use can be work backwards the same way.

I've seen many people offer different levels of sweetener depending on what they like.

98EXL said:
If you don't have a scale, how do you measure 2 pounds of BS?

Assuming you know how many pounds of brown sugar you have, just measure it out in ml's and do the math. For instance, I bought a 3# bag of dextrose for my apfelwien but was only going to use 2#'s. It measured out to be approx 2100ml so I just threw 1400ml's into the mix. (2/3's of it)

Smeck

I have a few bags of different quantities in the house [just don't ask why]

CatchinZs said:
I think that depends on personal taste.
Once it's made you could take a glass and taste it. If you add a tablespoon of splenda (as mentioned before it won't ferment out) to a 12oz. glass and like it that would be roughly equal to a cup per gallon.
Some one please check my math if you get a chance.

5 gallons -> 640 fl oz. -> 80 cups
16 TBsp/cup
80 cups / 16 TBsp = a 1:1 ration of 5 cups to 5 gallons or 1cup per gallon.

That seems like a lot since splenda seems sweeter to me but what ever amount of sweetner you use can be work backwards the same way.

I've seen many people offer different levels of sweetener depending on what they like.
Can I try it after the 4 weeks in the primary or do I need to keep it in the bottle for 4 weeks before tasting/drinking.

Also, how much priming sugar for carbanation

Back