edworts apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
Do the majority of people carb this or not? I just sampled the hydro sample and it was delicious as is. What is the general consensus?

My wife and I like ours carbed. That being said, maybe do half and half for this batch and see haw you like it best.

I like to carbonate it to a low volume. But it is a bit more hassle

I think I may just bottle and remake then carb that batch. I have beer to bottle this week too. Finally getting my pipeline going. 3 fermentors full right now.

I did a test batch of Apfelwein about a year ago, and I like it carbonated. I just started my first full batch of EW's Apfelwein yesterday, and plan on carbonating as normal, i.e., 5 oz dextrose in 5 gal. It should be noted that if plain wine bottles are being used for some reason, the contents should not be carbonated, as such bottles aren't constructed to hold pressure. Of course, bottles intended for sparkling wines, champagne, prosecco, etc. are fine. I've got 17-18 750ml bottles originally containing Martinelli's Sparkling Cider, given to me by teetoaling relatives, that are perfect because the take a regular crown cap. I'll probably just put the rest of the batch in bombers......

I prefer it carbonated. That being said, I usually hold back 1-2 gallons uncarbed to help 'tide me over' until the bulk of it is carbed.

I have tested it a few different ways. The wife and I prefer lightly carbed. 2.5oz dextrose per 5 gallon batch seems to do the trick.

I think its just a matter of experimenting and deciding what you like.

Back