Edwort... I think I screwed up the recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
d... I think I screwed up the recipe

My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and vienna, incase the efficiency was bad.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?

Interesting. You got over 80% efficiency, but your F.G. is a bit high. It may have not finished. At what temp did it ferment? Mine always finishes at 1.010 or below.

What temp did you mash at? Is your thermometer accurate? I'm guessing the additional crystal and a high mash temp left you with long sugar chains and resulting in the high FG. As far as the hop aroma, I would guess you stirred the beer up during transfer too much and aireated the aroma away.

EdWort said:
C'mon now guys, I do brew beer too. :cross:
Well in their defense, Apfelwein is the recipe. I mean, look at all the posts & views that thread has! :rockin:

I bought the thermometer brand new the same day. A pyrex one. At first I hit the 152 degrees mash temp. I put the top on and it did drop to 149 deg within half an hour. Maybe I didnt put the top on fast enough not sure.

I heated it back up to 153. For the hour. I didnt really airete the wort. I poured from the kettle into the carboy after about an hour once it finally cooled down.:(

britishbloke said:
d... I think I screwed up the recipe

My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and vienna, incase the efficiency was bad.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?

I can't imagine that an extra 1.5 pounds pushed you up to 1.067. You're at a 7.5% beer. I though this brew came in around 5.1%.

You sure you're getting good hydro readings?

At any rate (as I think I said in another thread): :D

10 days plus 3 weeks...I think you're fermented out. My version was a total of 10 days before being kegged.

Did you chill the secondary? That is what helps the clearing.

Don't mess around with it. Give it time. Rmember, only 9 days in and your yeast in the bottles is still actively carbing the beer. That will settle once the priming sugar has been digested.

Relax.

I know. lol.

With brewing extract I got it down to a tee everytime. Even if I tasted it after a week and it tasted nasty I'd still kn ow it would turn out good.

This is just my first all-grain. An d it stopping at 1.020 seems a little high. The yeasty smell with go away I hope.:tank:

britishbloke said:
IThis is just my first all-grain. An d it stopping at 1.020 seems a little high. The yeasty smell with go away I hope.:tank:

Like the Biermuncher says, let time be your friend. The yeast will settle when they are done, and I'm betting you'll have a fine beer in a month from now.

Now, the lesson learned today is...........

Don't deviate from EdWort's recipes!!!! :cross:

britishbloke said:
I wont I wont. I just heard that efficiency is usually crappy on everyones first all-grain. But not in this situation. :)
My first Ag was at 79%. I think people just need to do a few brews before just adding extra grains to make up for something that they don;t know will happen or not.

What was your mash?

Wow, OK.

So I guess I had to wait for the beer to fully carbonate.

Tastes great now. Weird smell gone, taste the hops. This beer took longer to be drinkable than I thought.

Mmmmm............ Good stuff....... I have to try this recipe a few more times to understand all grain better.

Thanks everyone; Turned out into a success.:rockin:

olllllo said:
Just had to peek and see if it was apfelwein that you messed up, in which case, we'd all have to bitchslap you.

There isn't anything wrong with that. I screwed up my first batch by only making 5 gallons and now I'm almost out. Buying ingredients next week though.

britishbloke said:
Wow, OK.

So I guess I had to wait for the beer to fully carbonate.

Tastes great now. Weird smell gone, taste the hops. This beer took longer to be drinkable than I thought.

Mmmmm............ Good stuff....... I have to try this recipe a few more times to understand all grain better.

Thanks everyone; Turned out into a success.:rockin:

RDWHAHB works almost every time. :D Congrats!

Back