editing and quotes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this is something not sure if it's been mention and schooled before...

but i've noticed if i respond and forget to click the insert quote button originally...when i edit my post i have to go to the new post section hit insert quote...then give it the Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V treatment to add it? any simpler way to do something like that?

HBT_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you not just hitting reply to a single post you are replying to? It will quote the post for you and then you can post below it.

Or if answering a few quotes, use the +Quote on them and then when you go to reply you will have button to show each of them. You can post all of them and post below each one.

And if you forget, it is copy original and paste in to your post.

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
huh, i'll give it
Why are you not just hitting reply to a single post you are replying to? It will quote the post for you and then you can post below it.

Or if answering a few quotes, use the +Quote on them and then when you go to reply you will have button to show each of them. You can post all of them and post below each one.

well, i'll work on it good ideas on how to operate the system though.....

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
You can actually click reply on multiple posts in the same thread and it will stack the quotes. For example, right after this sentence I'm typing, I hit reply on all three "reply" buttons above and it just stacks them like so:

this is something not sure if it's been mention and schooled before...

but i've noticed if i respond and forget to click the insert quote button originally...when i edit my post i have to go to the new post section hit insert quote...then give it the Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V treatment to add it? any simpler way to do something like that?

huh, i'll give it

well, i'll work on it good ideas on how to operate the system though.....

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You can actually click reply on multiple posts

yeah, but i always try and obey kent88...he says to only quote what i'm replying too, which means highlgihting the text, and then clicking quote..

which means i have to remember to click the insert quote button in the post. and forget a lot of the time. post my reply, then realize, i didn't click the insert quote button. click insert quote, the the ctrl-a,x,v thing in an edit....

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah but then just select any text you're actually referring to.

sounds like a PITA compared to just highlighting what you want and clicking the pop-up quote button....

FTFY ;) :mug: i knew about that, but that's even more trouble then the ctrl-a,x,v method....

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Highlight the text and click reply that is in the flyout of the highlighted text. Then it gets added to where ever your cursor was left in the reply you are working on.

sounds like a PITA
Which is how I got the above quote into the middle of this reply that I'd already written.

+quote just saves them to a list of things you want to quote and you have to bring up that list separately to add them.

and clicking the pop-up quote button....
This one required me to hit the insert quote button at the bottom of the editor window and then another button to insert it. Two too many clicks for me required to get it in the reply.

HBT_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
yeah, but i always try and obey kent88...he says to only quote what i'm replying too, which means highlgihting the text, and then clicking quote..

which means i have to remember to click the insert quote button in the post. and forget a lot of the time. post my reply, then realize, i didn't click the insert quote button. click insert quote, the the ctrl-a,x,v thing in an edit....
You do NOT have to do it that way. Just use the reply for that one post you are quoting.

Once the quote shows in the reply post, you can go in that box and delete what you want out of there and leave the part you are replying to. Or I will just reply, then highlight and bold the part I'm replying to.

It's the way the software is made to work.

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's the way the software is made to work.

yeah, i've gotten some good tips in this thread, like i just highlighted that part of your comment and hit reply instead of quote....oh well, i thought it was something i should mention. i just wish there was a way i could insert a quote in the buffer to an edit is all...